Chapter Forty-One - A King Among Wolves

AN: Once again this chapter is unedited, please excuse any errors. 

Chapter Forty-One - A King Among Wolves

Vincent scratched at his bare chest, the stab wound from Gabriel's blade nearly healed.

On the television he watched the human news with a sense of relief. The mortals had shown no signs of noticing a battle had ever taken place. It still surprised him that the fight had gone completely unnoticed, even with Hearthshire's seclusion and barrier. Then again, humans only saw what they wanted to see.

The remaining Legion soldiers had either retreated or been killed. Now the witches worked to clean the field of the dead and gore. His own pack was recovering from their injuries and the grief of losing fellow members. Six in total had fallen during the battle. They were lucky it had not been more. One lost pack member was one too many.

Evelyn sat in a chair close by. She had cleaned and changed back into the mystic's typical white dress, the soft lace clinging to her curves. Pride seared through him, his mate had fought beautifully for her pack. His eyes caressed her face. Even now Vincent didn't believe he deserved such a creature. Her blonde hair glowing softly in the light, the long locks cascading down her back. Her face was pale, her silver eyes red from unshed tears, and yet it did nothing to diminish her beauty.

Our mate mourns.

Vincent clenched his jaw, wanting to go to her. He could sense the turmoil within her. He knew losing members of their pack had affected her profoundly. His little mate had never known such loss and it would take time for her to overcome her grief.

But they were not alone.

The Demon King sat with Victoria and Levina, his arm wrapped possessively around his mate's shoulders. Thankfully, Nicholas had left with the others. The mercenary had been worse for wear, his limp far more prominent and clear pain reflected in his eyes. Vincent couldn't help but feel satisfaction over his suffering.

"It appears the humans are none the wiser," Sebastian remarked dryly. "Typical mortals."

"I hope Jasper will be alright," Victoria commented worriedly.

Sebastian scoffed, "Not to worry. Charles will take good care of him."

Leaning over Victoria patted Evelyn's arm. "Are you alright?"

Blinking, Evelyn nodded. "Yes, thank you." Her voice was hoarse and quiet.

"It must be hard, losing members of your pack," Victoria said soothingly, her brown eyes glowing. "If you need anything you let me know. You're always welcome to visit."

Sebastian raised his brows. "Victoria-"

"Don't even start," Victoria cut him off curtly. "Eve and I are going to be great friends. If you don't like it too bad." Evelyn blushed, looking down at her feet while Victoria stood and wrapped an arm around the mystics hunched shoulders.

"Inviting her to our home?" Sebastian protested.

"What exactly is the problem?" Victoria snapped. "Are we going to continue with this ridiculous conflict? Vincent saved my life and the life or our child, or did you forget that?"

Sebastian scowled. "I haven't. However, that doesn't undo what was done."

"What happened can't be changed," Victoria agreed. "But how we choose to act towards each other can be. There was a reason for his actions. His methods may have been flawed but his reasons were just. This isn't the time to fight among ourselves."