Chapter Twelve - Scheming Mystic's

Scheming Mystic's

Vincent watched as the girl slept. As soon as they'd returned to the cottage Evelyn had collapsed on the bed, exhausted. She was snuggled down into the covers, her face peaceful in sleep. Sitting in an armchair Vincent simply watched her, smoking a cigar and drinking a glass of whiskey he'd brought with him from Hearthshire.

On the table lay his weapons. Just having his sword and bow nearby eased some of the tension within him. It had unnerved him to no end to be so vulnerable, with no wolf or weapons to protect himself or Eve.

He ran a hand over his freshly trimmed beard, scratching under his chin. Earlier he'd nearly shaved it off completely, but the horrified look on Eve's face when he'd mentioned shaving had stopped him. If his Evelyn liked it then he would keep it.

Shifting in his chair Vincent unbuttoned his shirt and rolled up his sleeves, letting the soft fabric hang loose around his torso. It felt good to be in clothing again, the expensive fabric of his black trousers far more appealing than those damn blankets. His feet were bare and he wondered if Evelyn had begun to rub off on him.

He smiled at that last thought, leaning back. The cottage was dark and warm, Eve's face gently lit by candlelight. His wolf gave a soft sigh, content just to sit over Evelyn protectively. He could watch her sleep for hours.

The back of his neck pricked. With a low growl he took a drag of his cigar. "It's unwise to sneak up on me, sorceress."

Levina chuckled, stepping up beside him. "I'll keep that in mind, hunter." Surveying her niece the mystic smiled softly. "Beautiful, isn't she?"

Glancing at her sideways Vincent assessed the mystic quickly. It was the first time he'd seen Levina the Ever Watchful while fully conscious. If the power from the wards had made his skin crawl, having the woman in the same room with him set his whole damn body on edge. She was tall and graceful, with classic features and curling blonde hair. He could understand the rumors regarding her beauty, although the mystic didn't compare to Evelyn as far as he was concerned. "Aye, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't wake her."

"I wouldn't worry. Evelyn can sleep through just about anything." She looked him over; her silver eyes lighting with interest as she openly surveyed his chest and torso. "You appear well."

He frowned. "Thanks to your niece."

"She is very talented, the most talented alchemist in all the realms." Levina didn't bother to hide the pride in her voice. "So much like her mother."

Smoking his cigar he asked casually, "I take it you are related on her mother's side then, since mystics are only female?"

Levina gave him a quizzical look. "She hasn't told you?"

Her reaction piqued his interest but he kept his demeanor casual. Was the girl hiding her past from him? It struck him that there was much he didn't know about Evelyn. "The subject has not been broached."

Her lips twitched. "I see. Evelyn's mother was my younger sister. She had a particular fondness for humans. I could never understand why." Levina rolled her eyes. "She fell in love with a human male, and well, along came Evelyn."

"And what happened to her parents?"

"That is not for me to say," Levina dismissed softly, sadness reflected in her features. "If Evelyn wishes for you to know she will tell you. She is not one to speak openly of her past." That meant Evelyn's memories were painful. His wolf snarled, wanting to protect although there was nothing he could do. "Have you told her of your past?" Levina asked curiously.