Chapter Thirty-Eight - The Ascended

AN: I'm loving the theories regarding Mags and her mate. I will say that some of you have guessed correctly. *Spoilers* 

The Ascended

Kill them. Show them our true power.

Vincent fought down his wolf, the beast was clawing to break free. He could not believe he had agreed to this. Members of the Ascended were in his house. They were gathering in his sitting room, as if they were about to have fucking tea.

He stood with Evelyn just outside the doorway, fighting to remain in control. Mordecai and Stephan shifted on their feet, sensing his unease. Outside the remaining members of his pack were at the ready.

We could slaughter the lot of them.

"Easy," Evelyn murmured within his mind. Her soft voice calmed his wolf, but only marginally.

"Can't I kill them? Just a little?" he asked, half joking, half serious.

Her lips twitched. "I just decorated these rooms. There'll be blood everywhere." He had to bite back a smile. Much to his delight Evelyn had overtaken his home, turning it from a cold empty estate to a warm pack house. Vincent knew the care and attention his mate had taken with every detail, and it pleased him to no end.

He also knew how important this meeting was for his mate. It was the only reason he had relented. And the only reason he was fighting to keep his wolf at bay. Exhaling loudly he reached out to her with their link. "Fine. You owe me for this."

She chuckled. "I'll make it up to you."

He eyed her sideways with interest. Evelyn stood beside him, dressed in a dark blue gown that suited her pale skin to perfection. The timid girl he'd first met was all but gone, beside him was an alpha's queen. Her back was straight, her features calm and firm. She emanated beauty and power.

His queen was perfect in every way.

Stephan released a sudden growl from behind him. Vincent turned with raised brows. But his beta's attention was focused solely on Grace. The disgruntled witch stood by his side, Stephan's hand gripping her arm tightly.

"Stop fighting me," Stephan snarled under his breath.

"Then let me go," Grace hissed back.

Stephan's reply was a curt, "Never."

Grace blushed, her mouth dropping, before she bristled with anger. "Damn werewolves."

"Should we do something?" Eve's voice asked quietly in his mind.

Vincent smirked. "Let them be. If Grace truly wished to leave she would be tossing Stephan through the wall."

Eve chuckled. "I'd pay to see that."

"Aye. Ready to meet our guests?"

Eve took a deep breath. "Ready."

Slipping her arm inside his own Vincent led her into the sitting room, followed by Stephan and Grace, who went to stand by the window. The Pure One, Charles Lockhart, stood in the middle of the room with Levina. The vampire's face was full of worry as he spoke in hushed tones to a small she-elf with short red hair.

"And Damian is still trying to track her down?" the elf asked curiously.

Charles nodded, running a hand through his hair. "He has become quite distressed."