Chapter Nine - Fighting the Pull

Fighting the Pull

Vincent trudged behind Evelyn, watching her short frame fight through the deep snow. He sighed, reaching out and catching the girl as she nearly tumbled over yet again. Righting her Vincent brushed the snow that had gathered off her coat, before turning her around and gently pushing her onward.

She mumbled something under her breath that sounded like, "Get a grip, Eve."

Despite the bitter cold and his foul mood Vincent smirked. He couldn't deny he enjoyed his effect on her.

Eve stopped for a moment, glancing around. He came up behind her, waiting for the girl to gather her bearings. Having no idea of the layout he was relying on Evelyn to guide the way.

"Problem?" he asked.

"Nope!" she said with far too much enthusiasm. "This way!"

He scowled but followed. Evelyn immediately veered to the left. He bit back a curse.

As they passed over a small stream his skin pricked, an uneasy feeling running up his spine. The further they walked the stronger his sense of unease. The shear immensity of the wards power set Vincent on edge, the closer they grew to the barrier the stronger it became. Not surprising, considering the being that had placed them was a mystic. There was a reason they were considered one of the most powerful beings in all the realms.

Still, it didn't calm his fears that at any moment Gabriel's army could emerge from the woods, or the Demon King himself. Wards could be circumvented; Vincent had done so many times while on the hunt. If one were inclined enough they would find a way in, no matter how powerful the spell.

Eve stumbled again, catching herself on a branch. Watching her struggle he almost felt pity that such a feeble girl could be related to such a powerful creature.

His wolf growled at him disapprovingly.

Vincent knew it was wrong of him to think such thoughts. The girl was just so damn delicate. Each day he spent with Eve he grew more and more protective of her. The urge to care for her was becoming second nature, and it was slowly driving him mad. He needed her near him constantly - his wolf demanded it - and each passing day it grew stronger. Soon his wolf would not be denied, and this concerned him.

His mind immediately conjured a word, one Vincent refused to acknowledge. He couldn't afford any more mistakes or distractions. Evelyn would never advance his endgame. What could the girl offer him other than her body?

That body...Curvy, soft, perfection.

Never in his life had he wanted to fuck a female so damn hard.

For days this woman had tortured him with her bashful expressions and curious glances. She left him shaking with desire, sending him storming outside to let the cold air cool his throbbing cock. More than once he'd jerked himself off right there in the fucking snow, his free hand clawing at the nearest tree.

The most frustrating of all was the fact that Evelyn had absolutely no idea of her effect on him. It made him want to punish her and take her all at once.

Shaking his head Vincent forced his eyes away from her. Even that small action proved difficult. After only a moment his gaze circled right back to Eve's sweet ass, as if drawn by an invisible force.

Damn it.

Standing straighter, he crossed his arms, attempting to conserve some body heat and take his mind off the girl. If he'd been at full strength this terrain would have been child's play. His wolf would have already been halfway across the fucking Yukon by now.