Chapter Eighteen - Nicholas and Betrayal

Nicholas and Betrayal

Nicholas stood over the werewolf. The wolf had turned back to human form, lying limp and gasping for breath as his blood pooled in the grass. The gash to the werewolf's chest was deep; Nicholas had stabbed him directly through the heart.

He could tell the wolf didn't possess the strength to come back from such a wound. The werewolf's face was a reflection of agony, his eyes bleak and unseeing.

Glancing up Nicholas' eyes met with Grace the Enchanted. He stared directly at the witch. Never breaking eye contact he swung his sword, slicing off the werewolf's head and ending his torment.

Grace's eyes widened. Nicholas sheathed his blades, his point made.

Kicking the head aside he walked casually up to the witch. He knew Grace wouldn't dare use her magic against him. The witch knew she didn't stand a chance, and she would never risk the life of her familiar in a foolhardy attempt to stop him.

Grace backed up against the door, her familiar wrapped around her shoulders and hissing at him. He ignored the beast, a smirk on his lips. "Grace."

She held up a hand in submission. "I dinna lie, Nick. I truly thought Vincent was dead."

"I know. Which is why you are still alive." He glanced at the carnage around him. Vincent had gone berserk when the other werewolf had threatened to take that small blonde female from him. "Who was the girl?"

Grace swallowed. "I donna know."

His eyes shot back to her face. He wagged a finger at her, shaking his head. "Now you're lying to me," he chided, his tone low and dangerous.

She pursed her lips in defiance, holding her head high.

Nicholas wondered if Vincent had any idea of just how loyal the witch was to him. His eyes flicked to mark on her neck. It was covered by her collar, but he knew it was there. Left by a mate she'd lost long ago. "I know you feel affection for the wolf. Your motherly concern will be your end."

"Go tae hell."

Nicholas appreciated her tenacity. He knew she was afraid; she would be a fool not to fear him. And she was a pretty thing, her bright green eyes full of wisdom and fire. It would be a shame to kill her. His tone softened. "We've had some good times, Grace. Don't make me hurt you."

She gave a cold laugh. "Fuck off. I know full well how many woman you've bedded. You dinna even remember me at first. You care nothing for me. Your heart is cold and black."

He frowned. He couldn't deny her words. When he'd first approached her for information he'd had no memory of her. But she had certainly remembered him, and Grace had been none to happy to see him again. "You're right, it is. So I'm sure you can understand how protective I am of those few I care for. You will tell me what I want to know, Grace. It's up to you if we do this easy."

"Aye, you with your torture," she scoffed. "Then again, you learned from the best."

His features turned cold as stone. He knew she was referring to his time as a slave to Lord Ivan. The fiery demons torture methods were well known. Nicholas stepped closer to her, invading her space. He didn't say a word, allowing his demeanor to do the talking for him.

Grace flinched. "I wonder what your queen would think if she saw the real you."

"I hide nothing from my queen." It was the truth. He never hid his true self from the one's he considered family. Queen Victoria knew full well about the darkness in him.