The Jealous Hamster

"You're sure that was him?" Angelo asked while driving away from the restaurant.

I kept my gaze heavy on the right side mirror, looking at the people in the background for as long as possible, "Yep, and my step mom was there too," I said in reference to Violet. She wasn't actually married to my dad, but she's been in my life for most of it so I just considered her my step mom. "God, how'd they know we were gonna be there?"

"Someone probably left a receipt or something in the mafia house and they found it during the investigation."

"Well, what about Smith and Eleanor? What if they get asked questions? They know your name, what if they tell the cops and then they come find you? You'll go to prison for a really long time."

He rolled his eyes, "You think I'm stupid. People can't track me, criceto. Finding me would be like finding a needle in a haystack...in the dark. Have you ever tried to find a needle in the dark? It's damn near impossible." I almost laughed at his metaphor, but him stopping the car on the scary part of town is what kept me from doing so, "We need go," he said before rolling out of the car.

I got out and almost had to jog to keep up with his long strides, "Please don't tell me we're leaving the country again."

"We're not. After a little thought, I realized that I can be tied to something, so I need to get rid of it," he said while walking into a tiny little shop. There was no one in here except for the guy behind the counter. He looked young and had platinum blonde hair. I couldn't see him being in the mafia, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

"Angelo?" He asked, sounding slightly confused, "Why are you here?"

"I need you to get rid of something for me, Sam," he painfully held the keys to his car out to Sam.

He snatched them happily, the biggest grin on his face, "Oh man, I finally get to do something for the mafia. What do you want me to do to it? Hide it? Take it to the junk yard?"

"Destroy it. I don't want any of it found by anyone."

"Can I ask why?" Sam asked while glancing out the shop window and at the oh so very nice car, "It's a pretty nice vehicle."

Angelo just looked at him, disapprovingly.

"Sorry. I forgot. I don't get to ask questions," he said as if repeating the same sentence he's heard a million times. "Yeah, I'll get right on this," he walked passed us and out of the store.

"So what now?" I asked, police sirens blaring down the street.

Angelo shook his head, "I don't know."

Three different cop cars stopped right in front of the store.

Angelo sighed and a ran a hand through his dark hair, frustratedly, "You have to go with them, amore mia. Not like you care anyways, you're getting what you've always wanted," he grabbed my hand and pulled me behind one of the shelves to be out of sight from the approaching police officers, "Do you still have that phone I gave you earlier?"

I nodded, and held up the black sequin hand bag it was tucked safely in, "Yeah."

"Good. Do you remember what omertà means? You're not going to be gone long, but it'll be long enough where everyone will be asking you questions. You're not even allowed to mention anything close to the name's of anyone you've met. Do you understand?"

I nodded again, "What do you mean I'm not going to be gone l-" I stopped talking due to the sound of the intrusive cops.

"I have to go now."