Dealing with the Call

"Why are you still awake?" I whispered, half asleep myself. Usually Angelo would have been passed out by now, but he wasn't. He was wide awake and staring up at the ceiling.

He looked away from the ceiling and down at me, "I have a lot on my mind, amore. You're not really helping either."

"What's wrong? What did I do?"

"You're not telling me something."

"What are you talking about?"

"I found something in the bathroom this morning," he took a deep breath in, "It was in the garbage actually. Do you know what I'm talking about now?"

Of course I did.

I had a weird feeling this was where this conversation was going to go. I was seriously hoping it wouldn't though. I, however; nodded, "Yeah, I know what you're talking about."

"How long have you known? Why didn't you tell me right away? I don't like secrets, especially not the big ones."

"I took it a couple nights ago. I had to get my thoughts straight before I went and told you. Soph needs at least one normal parent," I waited for him to say something, anything, but I got nothing, "Are you excited?"

"Ehh," the way he said that was sheer adorableness. "Not at the moment, but I'm sure it'll grow on me soon, like Soph did. You do have a bit of a tummy already. Must have caught this one a little late."

"I was thinking the same thing." It was odd because I was wearing a baggy tee shirt and you could still see the smallest bump in the world. It took me awhile to start showing with Sophia, so this made me wonder how late I actually did catch it. "Watch it be twins."

"Yeah, let's not jinx it please."

"Okie doke. When do we tell Soph?"

Angelo chucked nervously, "Never."

__________

She was taking it worse than a death. Try to imagine that for a moment. This little three year old was crying harder than I pictured she would if she was standing at her own father's funeral. It was quite the sight.

It was kind of embarrassing actually.

Angelo, Soph and I all stood in the middle of mafia HQ's living room. We had just come back from our very first doctor's appointment for baby D'Amico number two. Sophia threw herself on the floor and screamed as if she was in the worst pain imaginable. A couple Mafiosi had walked in to see what was going on, but left quickly after seeing Angelo.

"What's wrong with il fiore?" A new but strangely familiar voice came in. I looked up from Sophia's temper tantrum to face the unwanted guest just to let myself be terribly disappointed.

I thought this move would get me away from this man.

Tony, stood next to Angelo, looking down at Soph in all of her dismayed glory. She wasn't embarrassing very often, but when she was, she went out of her way to do it.

Angelo finally took the few steps needed to reach Sophia on the floor and picked her up. She calmed down for a second before resuming, "Come on, Clo," Angelo turned and started heading for the door. I chased after him, making sure to give Tony an evil glare on my way out.

"Where are we going? I thought you had stuff to do here."

"I'll come back after I take you home. It's obvious that someone," he paused to look at Soph, "needs a nap."

That wasn't a good thing to bring up.

She hated even the word.

"No!" She screamed bloody murder and started trying to wiggle her way out of Angelo's killer hold around her.