The Truth About Mr. D'Amico

Luca ordered a pizza awhile ago and now we were devouring it while watching some show on tv. I sat crisscrossed at the end of his king sized bed while he sat with his back pressed against the headboard.

Being with people who actually seemed to value my company was actually a nice feeling and it totally almost made me forget why I was sad in the first place.

I set my half eaten piece of pepperoni pizza back in the box and turned to face Luca. "What do you want now, pest?" He asked between bites of his pizza.

"Is Alessandra that nurse in Italy?"

He rolled his eyes, "Yes, but I hardly think that its anything that concerns you, gattina."

"Are you two serious?" I pried. "Why isn't she here in New York with you?" He was a genuine person, so I hoped this Alessandra girl was everything he was and more. He deserved it.

He swallowed a huge bite of pizza, "Chloe..." He trailed off after looking at my puppy dog eyes. I always win with those, "Yes, it's pretty serious. Actually...even if for some reason I wanted to leave the relationship, I couldn't," he said as if I should have understood what he was trying to say. "It's just that serious."

I am blonde though and I will admit that whatever he was hinting at, flew right over my head, "Why? She won't let you?"

"Bless your heart, Chloe," he shook his head disappointedly and looked down at the pizza box, "She's pregnant."

My mouth gaped open, "She's pregnant?" I asked slowly, "And it's yours?" I cheered, "Awww!" I got up and threw my arms around his neck, squeezing tightly, "Luca, that's so cool. I'm so excited for you."

"Yeah and if you'd be quiet about this, that'd be greaaat. Not exactly ready to tell anyone that we're going to have to keep tabs on another person yet. Also not ready to lose a limb over it."

I nodded quickly, agreeing to keep my mouth shut, "So are you going to marry Alessandra than? I think it's only right that you do. She deserves that much."

"But then I'd have to move her here. Like in here...the mafia house. I don't want that for her, this place is hell."

"Why can't you just get a house or something than?"

"Because," he rolled his eyes, obviously becoming bored with the subject, "Since I'm in the mafia, if I married her, she's just as much as associated with it as me. We like having all of our people here in the mafia house, so that they can be watched."

My mouth formed an 'O' as I took in this small piece of information. Did that mean I was going to have to stay here? I mean, I wasn't exactly romantically linked to anyone in the mafia, whether I liked it or not, so they didn't have a reason to keep me here, right? Could I catch a plane back to LA with no questions asked?

Ha...probably not.

There was a loud knock on Luca's bedroom door, like the person on the other side was extremely angry or something. I slid off the bed, facing away from the door as Luca got up to answer it.

I heard him twist the doorknob and almost instantly the sound of the door smashing up against the wall rang throughout the room, causing me to jump back a little bit.

"Where is she?" The new voice asked, sounding frantic.

The voice was familiar and I came to the untimely conclusion that it belonged to Angelo.

I got on my knees and made sure my body was facing towards the door. Slowly, I popped my head up, so that the only part of me totally visible would have been my eyes. My scared, wide eyes.