Giving Him Up

***Authors note*** If you want a little refresher on the characters in this chapter, please revisit 37 or 38 (whenever Chloe had to go undercover at the police station).

____________________

"Oooh, can we get this?"

"No, I want that one!"

"Can we get both?"

Sophia and Alessio did what they always do whenever we went to the store and argued over the type of cereal they'd get. "No, just find one you both like."

"Leaders don't settle!" Alessio shouted.

It was too early for this. Yes, he has always been obsessed with everything mafia, and yes he knew he was one day going to become an official member. He has never talked about it this much though. I didn't want to be rude and say it was annoying, but that's what it was starting to get to. I sipped on my coffee and prayed to god I'd wake up a little faster. "Little boys settle when their mom says they're going to, so you better figure something out."

"Please, can we get frosted flakes, Sio?" Soph begged.

"I want Cheerios."

"Ok," I grabbed a random box and threw it in the cart, "Honey bunches of oats it is."

They both sighed heavily as we moved on. See, already off to an amazing start to this perfectly perfect day.

"What's for dinner?" Alessio asked.

"Whatever your dad decides to make for you," I answered while looking at the shelves. Nothing was looking amazing.

"Excuse me," a new voice said. I turned around to see an eerily familiar guy and a less familiar little boy. "I think I know you."

I gave him a weird look, "Um...maybe."

"Allison?" He asked, "Right? It's Jake from the police department. You worked there for like a week and then you just left. I thought you died after that shoot out."

Shit.

Jake Harris, the cop.

"You look different. Did you dye your hair?"

I nodded and swallowed hard, "Mhmm."

"How've ya been?"

"Umm...good?" I was nervous. I knew Sio was over there assuming things and it wasn't long before he opened his mouth and gave his two cents. "What about you?"

"Eh, could be worse. Who are these guys?" He pointed at Sophia and Alessio. "You had kids?"

"Yeah. Soph-"

Before I could finish my introduction, Sio stepped in like I had a terrible feeling he would.

"Alessio D'Amico," he said coldly.

Jake looked taken aback, "D'Amico?" He gave me a look, "No. You're kidding, right? You're not the D'Amico at least, are you?"

"We gotta go," I grabbed Sophia's and Alessio's hands, left the cart and started heading for the exit that was on the totally opposite side of the store.

Jake and his son chased after us, he was now on the phone, undoubtedly with his cop friends.

I let go of Sophia's hand, mainly because Alessio couldn't be trusted right now, and took my phone out of my jacket. "Are you calling daddy?" Soph asked. I nodded.

I had a strong feeling there was nothing he could do for us at this point though, and we would have to dig ourselves out somehow.

I hit one on speed dial and waited, all while trying to listen to Jake's own phone call.