The Criceto Has Done it Again

"What are you going to do about Lorenzo?" I asked, cutting off one of the characters in the movie Angelo and I were watching.

I hadn't realized that he was basically asleep, "Huh?" He questioned, blinking his eyes a few times, "Oh, I'm taking him back to Italy tomorrow morning."

"You're taking him to Italy? So that means you're leaving Los Angeles," I paused the Netflix movie so that he had absolutely no excuse to not pay attention to me. "You can't come here and then leave just like that. It's not fair."

He looked at me as if I had just spoken another language and that's how it stayed...until I started speaking again.

"Well are you ever coming back? Or do you really trust me enough to not be so mad that I rat you out? 'Cause that's kind of how I'm feeling right now."

"Good god, amore mia. I'm not going to be gone forever. I just have to make sure he actually gets there because he's been known to make sudden course changes. And I'm keeping Dom and Luca here, so it's not like you'll be unprotected."

"Unprotected? You say it as if I need protecting."

"Well..." He trailed off, "You kind of do. A whole new window of challenges have opened themselves just by you being here. Different people are after you, people I can't necessarily...fight off."

I sat up immediately, "And when exactly were you going to tell me this? What do you mean you can't fight them off? Why not? Am I gonna die for real this time?"

"You're not going to die. This is your fault though, mostly. You can't blame me for this, because I'm not the one who gave Italia's name to an invasive prude. Does this ring a bell to you, criceto?"

He told someone?! "Lucas wasn't supposed to tell anybody. He promised that he wouldn't. Italia knows?"

"Oh yeah. She's furious. You've made two different mafia families have to flee from their homes in such a short amount of time. How do you do it?"

I ignored his dumb question and thought of ways I could keep myself safe. "Take me with you," I demanded. "I don't want to stay here."

"I'm not going to smuggle you out of the country though. Do you know how hard it was to get in here without being seen? I can't even picture myself trying to leave in the daylight with you. Your dad has security all over the place, Chloe. It's too risky, I won't do it."

"Isn't leaving me here with an ex girlfriend who obviously doesn't like me, even more risky though?"

"Chloe."

"Angelo."

"I will consider it," he mumbled before throwing the covers over his head as if to silence me.

+
+
+

Luca now sat in the center of my room, looking confused way beyond the word. "How do I know you're not gonna shoot me if I cross an invisible line?" He asked Angelo, who seemed to be deep in thought. "I mean, there's obviously something between you two now, why don't you just do it?"

"You're closer to her age so it's more believable."

"Yeah, I'm a year younger than you. That's so much closer. What do I do if her dad asks me how old I am? I can't pass as a seventeen year old."

Angelo and I both exchanged looks before turning back to Luca. "You totally could," I laughed.

"Ok well, that still doesn't solve the looming problem of her dad trying to kick my ass for this. Who the hell would let their daughter out of the country with some 'teenage' guy she met in New York? I never would. Did you even tell him that you plan on leaving yet?"