And She Returns

Shiiiit.

I thought to myself, my whole entire life and even some scenes from the probable future quickly flashing into my mind.

This is literally the last thing I needed right at this very moment.

I didn't have any time to reflect on it though because the bathroom door was slowly opening and Sophia's small head poked through the slight crack, "Mommy?"

I tried to remain calm and make it look as if she didn't just catch me totally off guard, "What baby?"

"Dinner," she pushed the door open the rest of the way before running away.

Kids.

They're great.

I waited a few seconds before leaving the bathroom and walking into the kitchen where I saw Angelo leaning against the counter by the oven and Sophia staring up at him, waiting.

I saw bae number three laying on top of the counter in all of its homemade Italian glory.

Pizza Viennese.

I couldn't tell you what the second word meant, but what I could say is that the pizza itself was my idea of heaven. It had a thin crust, with tomato sauce, loads of mozzarella cheese and some Italian sausage.

After eating this, no frozen pizza was ever going to be good enough for me.

"I think I love you," I said.

"Are you talking to me or the food?" Angelo asked.

Wellllll actually, "You because without you I wouldn't have the amazing food that you are capable of creating."

"Remember when you used to say that you didn't like Italian food? What happened to that Chloe?"

"It's been three years, people change, your cooking skills improve, I try new things," I shrugged while watching Soph try to stretch herself to maximum height just to grab a piece. She started whining after realizing she was about two feet too short.

"Little foodie," Angelo said before putting a slice on a plate for Sophia. She greedily snatched the plate and ran into the dining room.

"Hmm...she's kind of like her daddy in that sense, isn't she? I mean, look at you," I paused to grab a piece myself, "You just got out of the hospital because you have a hole in your stomach, and the only reason you'll get out of bed is to make food. You're the foodie."

He smiled all guilty like, "I don't know what you're talking about."

____________________

"Life was much simpler before you two came around. I remember when I could just get up and go somewhere without having to wait for you guys to get your stuff together." Sophia and I stopped racing around the house just long enough for Angelo to say.

Soph was down the hallway looking for the shoes she had been wearing only a few minutes ago, and I was trying to find a pair of earphones. Whenever we got in the car, I made sure I had them because I absolutely hated the music Angelo listened to. Couldn't understand a word.

You don't know hell until you've had to endure a car ride with the most Italian man in the whole frigging world.

It was cute to listen to Soph sing though.

"May I ask where we're even going?" I found Sophia's coat thrown randomly on the floor, picked it up and helped her put it on.

"Got to get your passes."

"Passes?" I asked as the three of us finally made it out the front door. "Passes for what?"

"Our community," Angelo stopped just to hit one of the buttons on the key chain. The headlights of a dark car flashed down the street a little ways. "Why is it so far away?" He mumbled under his breath, "Anyways, our small community is heavily guarded, and one of the steps we take to ensure everyone's safety is to make everyone carry special passes."

"So badges," I corrected.

"Sure."

"Can mine be pink?" Sophia asked before reaching up to grab my hand. I picked her up instead and continued walking to the car.

"I...don't know about that," Angelo answered. "Maybe," as we finally reached the car, he opened the backdoor on the drivers side.

Something was missing.

"There's no car seat," I said.

"We're going a mile down the road. It's not going to kill her if she doesn't have it this one time, Chloe."

"Angelo," I whined.

"Chloe."

"Angelo!"

"Chloe!"

"Where would you even get one around here? I wouldn't be surprised if there was some massive store hidden somewhere. Where is it? Lets go there."

He seemed slightly hesitant, and for what reason, I wasn't exactly sure. "I don't think you want to go there right now. It may not be the best place at the moment."

"Why not?"

"Well, I feel like you're just starting to get over the topic, I don't really want to bring it up again. Not right now anyways."

"Could you just tell me please? What are you hiding?"

"Nothing. I just don't want a fight to break out in front of the bambina."

"You're so confusing."

"Giulia works there."

"Ah, go figure."

_____________

"It's like a super Walmart in here," I commented while walking around the large store with Angelo. Sophia was in my arms, asleep, with her small head laying on my shoulder and her arms wrapped around my neck. "Kinda empty though," I noticed the extreme lack of stuff on some shelves. Sometimes there was even only one of each item.

"Is there something I could help you find?" That annoying voice called from behind us. I turned around slowly to see Giulia and was actually grateful that Angelo kept on walking away.

"No, we're fine," I mustered up the smallest ounce of fake kindness. Anyone could have seen right through me though.

"Well, I wasn't really asking you, now was I?" She tilted her head slightly to the side and I watched as her eyes moved away from me and down one of the aisles to Angelo.

"Yeah," I snapped my fingers to get her attention, "This isn't going to work for me. Whatever you thought you had with him, is nothing and that's how it's gonna stay. Forever. Do I make myself clear?"

"Who the hell do you think you are?!" She yelled, surprisingly not waking Sophia up yet. So help her god if she did.

"Alright," Angelo put his hands on my shoulders and started pushing me forward. "We'll come back later."

Never in my whole life have I wanted to scream so bad at someone.