Chapter 33

Dedicated to AlphaPrincess47 for commenting

After a really long time of listening to others talking and zoning out. The third exam finally starts. 

"We will now have an explanation of the Third Exam from Hokage-sama. Everyone listen well. Hokage-sama, please  do the honors." Anko said, gaining their attention.

"The Third Exam will begin.  But before the explanation, there's one thing I want to make clear to all of you. It's about the true purpose of this exam. Why we do a joint exam with the allied nations. 'To maintain good relations with the allied nations' and 'heighten the level of ninja.' Don't let those reasons deceive you. This 'exam', so to speak is. The epitome of a war between the allied nations. If we go back through history, the allied nations right now were neighboring countries that have fought each other over and over again. To avoid wasting military power, those countries decided to choose a place to fight. That is the beginning of the Chunnin Selection Exam." The Hokage said, making most of the genins shocked.

"Why do we have to do that? We're not doing this to select Chunnins?" Naruto asked

"Yes, this Exam does examine those who are worthy of the Chunnin title. But on the other hand, it's also a place where ninja fight and carry their country's dignity. In this Third Exam, feudal lords and famous people from various countries who may be potential clients are invited here as guests. Feudal lords from countries with hidden villages and ninja leaders will see your battles. If there's a significant difference in power, the strong country will be flooded with jobs. If a country is seen as weak, their jobs will decrease. And of the same time, countries are able to show how their village has grown and possess excellent military power to the adjacent countries. In other words, they can put foreign pressure on them." 

"So why do we have to fight with the risk of losing our lives?" Kiba asked.

"A country's power is the village's power. A village's power is the ninja's power. And a ninja's true power is only born in life-or-death battles. This Exam is also a place to show off the ninja power of one's country. Since this is an exam where you fight with your life on the line, it has a meaning. Your predecessors have fought and dreamed of being in the Chunnin Exams because of it." 

Tenten stepped forward, still not understanding some parts of the very long and confusing speech. "But why do you say it is to promote good relations?"

The Hokage looked a bit tired from all the explaining. "I told you at the beginning to not get it confused with that. The custom of showing one's life and fighting to maintain balance. That is the good relation in the world of ninja. This is a life-or-death battle for your dream and village's dignity." 

They finally understood what the Hokage had meant. Gaara didn't seem to care much about the details of the exam. He just wanted to know about the life-or-death battle. Prompting the Hokage to start explaining again. 

"Then I will now begin the explanation of the Third Exam." The Hokage cleared his throat.

Someone appeared in front of the Hokage just as he was about to explain. 

"Excuse me, Hokage-sama. I, Gekkou Hayate. The judge, will explain." The person said, bowing down towards the Hokage.

The Hokage looked a bit relieved that he didn't need to explain anything anymore. "Please do." 

The man stood up from his position. "Everyone, it's nice to meet you. Everyone, before the Third Exam. There's something I want you to do." He paused, considering his next words. "Fight in some preliminary matches to see who gets to advance to the Third Exam's main battle."