9 ● The Stump ●

Kakashi's pov.

I sat on the edge of my bed, deep in thought as I kept looking at the old picture in my hands. The morning sun cast a ray of light to the glass on top of the old memento, nearly making me unable to see the faces of my old team mates and sensei.

My eyes ignored the stoic silver haired boy on the left corner, him not having anything in him I'd want to see. Instead, my eyes traveled to the smiling brunette between the two boys. Rin...

The quilt I still held inside hadn't lessened in the slightest bit and I couldn't bare to look at the ravenette next to her. The promise had been broken and it's shards were still tightly embedded into my heart.

My eyes turn to the only adult in the picture. His expression had always been gentle and his words wise. Even if I can no longer hear those words, I still search for his guidance... like I should have done in the past.

"Sensei... It's time again. There are four snot nosed genin waiting at me on the training grounds, a bitter Uchiha survivor, a girly girl, a ghost girl and your hyperactive son. Waiting for the test, that you once did to us. I know these four are unlikely to pass it, just like the ones before them, but I am still unsure. If this time, these kids really get the meaning of team work, I have no choice but to take them under my tattered wing...
I know I will fail as a sensei, just like I failed as a student, as a team mate and as a friend. So what should I do, sensei? Should I take the leap and accept the risk that my landing may lead me to more death and failure? Truthfully, I'm not so sure I could handle much more, Minato-sensei."

I look into the closed eyes of the blond male, not expecting any answer, nor was I receiving one. I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to find a reason to even bother to go to the training grounds.

"'Giving up has never made things easier.'" I mutter. I remember someone saying those words to me once. But as I try to recall that person's face, I only see a blur. Still, I felt that that person had been important to me and that advise had helped me many times in my life before...

Maybe it would help this time too.

With a shallow sigh, I place the picture to the nightstand and get up. As I head to the front door I glance at the clock. Nearly 8 o'clock. It had taken longer to think things out, than I had planned, but it's not like it's the first time this had happened.

I closed the front door, not bothering to lock it as there was nothing of much value someone would bother to steal, and started my leisure walk to the training ground where those brats were waiting. Or so I thought.

The moment I arrived the pinky and blondy started screaming of my late appearance and I blamed the neighbors black cat that had hated me the moment I moved to my house. It seems they didn't buy the excuse, but my mind had already wandered somewhere else as I scanned the grounds. Only three...

"Where's the other girl?" I knew Sasuke wouldn't know the answer, so I looked at Naruto and Sakura, who only shrugged.

"I don't know. Haven't seen her this morning." Naruto muttered and I sighed. I just got here and there are already problems in sight.

"Wait here." I didn't stay to hear an answer as I teleported into the girl's room that Hugo had told me about. It seems he knew something like this may happen, but the thing that I saw next was something I hadn't expected and it made me sweat drop.

The girl was nearly falling from her bed, her white messy hair on the ground and limbs spread out in every possible direction as she snored loudly, drool trickling towards the tattoo on her cheek.

I don't completely know if this is normal way of sleeping for young girls, but it sure looked somewhat... painful.

Her head was nearly touching the floor and her back was so bent it was a wonder it didn't break. Time to wake up the 'sleeping beauty'.