23 ● Not My Day ●

Hehehee... *smirk*

Third person's pov.

The genin were led to an arena where the preliminaries would take place. Twenty-four genin had passed the second exam and now stood in firm lines with their team mates, facing the examiners and their jõnin instructors in front of them with the Third Hokage in the middle of them.

"First off, congratulations on passing the Second Exam." Anko said, speaking through a small microphone attached to her face.

"We will now have an explanation of the Third Exam from Hokage-sama. Everyone listen well." Hiruzen stepped forward and looked at the genin before clearing his throat. "The Third Exam will begin. But before the explanation, there's one thing I want to make clear to all of you. It's about true purpose of this exam. Why we do a joint exam with the Allied nations." Hiruzen said and straightened his hat a little.

"'To maintain good relations with the Allied nations' and 'heighten the level of the ninja'... Do not let those reasons deceive you. This 'exam', so to speak, is the epitome of a war between the Allied nations."

"What do you mean?" Tenten asked from her place.

"If we go back through history, the Allied nations right now we're neighboring countries that have fought each other over and over again. To avoid wasting military power, those countries decided to choose a place to fight. That is the beginning of the Chūnin Selection Exam."

"Why do we have to do that? We're not doing this to select chūnins?" Naruto inquired and Hiruzen continued his dramatic speech.

"Yes, this exam does examine those who are worthy of the chūnin title. But, on the other hand, it's also a place where ninja fight and carry their country's dignity. In this Third Exam, feudal lords and famous people from various countries who may be potential clients are invited here as guests. And feudal lords from countries with hidden villages and ninja leaders will see your battles.
If there's a signifant difference in power, the strong country will be flooded with jobs. If a country is seen as weak, their jobs will decrease.
And at the same time, countries are able to show how their village has grown and possess excellent military power to the adjacent countries."

"So why do we fight with the risk of losing our lives?" Kiba asked, annoyed.

"A country's power is the village's power. A village's power is the ninja's power. And ninja's true power in only born in life-or-death battle.
This exam is also a place to show off the ninja power of one's country. Since this is an exam where you fight with your life on the line, it has a meaning and your predecessors have fought and dreamed of being in the Chūnin Exam because of it."

"But why do you say it is to promote good relations?" Tenten asked, not able to fully undestand what the Hokage was saying.

"I told you in the beginning not to get it confused with that. The custom of wearing out one's life and fighting to maintain balance... That is the good relation in the world of ninja. This is a life-or-death battle for your dream and village's dignity." This didn't shake the determination of some people and they told Hiruzen to tell them about the Third Exam.

"Then I will now begin the explanation of the Third Exam, but..." Hiruzen stopped talking as the judge of the Third Exam appeared in front of him in a bow.

"Excuse me, Hokage-sama... I, Gekkou Hayate, the judge, will explain."

"Please do." Hayate rose up and faced the examinees.

"Everyone, it's nice to meet you. *cough!* Everyone, before the Third Exam... *cough!* There's something I want to do..." He once again coughed and Lumi wondered for 1000th time if he happened to be sick. He must've been.