THREE- Hypothetically

"Hypothetically, of course. Are there some things better left unsaid? Or would you wanna know instead? Hypothetically, of course. Are there some wars not worth fightin'? Some tears not worth cryin'?" - Lyfe Jennings

REIGN

"See, now you try." Montana says, taking his blindfold off. We're sitting on his porch. He's teaching me how to take a gun  apart and put it back together without looking as fast as I can. KeKe dropped me off here along with my brothers and I'm so glad. I wasn't in the mood to see my dad after what he said before I went to school. It hurt my feelings but I'm a strong girl. I'm not about to let his words destroy me.

"Montana, I'm no good at this. Can you teach me how to do something else? Oh, I heard you know about human bodies and stuff. Is that true?" I ask, counting his bullets. "It is very true. When I was in school, I likes physiology and human anatomy a lot. The rest of my knowledge came from reading and experience." he answers. "Oh. What kind of experience?" I ask. He chuckles, then directs his attention to Noble, Majesty, uncle Darius, Tae, and some guys from Montana's neighborhood as they play basketball in his driveway.

"I don't really have a good answer, honestly." he says. I smile. "Tell me. I tell you a lot of secrets. Why can't you tell me about your experience?" I ask. He leans back. "Well, I was doing hits for money for a long time and I'd do crazy shit sometimes. Every once in a while I'd tie one of my victims up and study certain things. I learned a lot. They were gonna die anyway, so I'd experiment on them." he says.

"Are you still a hit man?" I ask. I'm so amazed right now and I probably shouldn't be. "Well... I try not to kill nobody but every once in a while I get the urge and I merk a few niggas. I got more than enough money and I'm comfortable. I'm not really trying to do hits. I enjoyed them though." he answers. "Next time you do a hit, can I come? I've never seen anybody die." I say. "Naw, baby girl. I wouldn't purposely allow your momma to see my lifestyle so I'm not gone let you see it neither." he says.

I sigh. "How long have you known my mom?" I ask. "She was pregnant with your brothers when we met, so almost seventeen years." he answers. "How come yall broke up?" I ask. "Why you asking me so many questions?" he jokingly asks. I laugh then hug him. "Cause you're my second daddy and I can talk to you about everything so tell me." I say.

He laughs. "Whatever, Reign. But we broke up cause I wanted the best for her." he says. "I was six but I remember little things. I remember her crying and begging." I say, thinking back on it. I was so worried. I'll remember the way she cried until the day I die. She was so hurt.

"I wasn't trying to hurt her. At the time, I thought your dad could love her better than I could. I thought putting my feelings aside and giving her up would be the best for her." he says. "I think you were wrong." I mumble. He doesn't say anything. He's just staring at me. "Yeah, me too." he admits.

"Have you had a girlfriend since then?" I ask him. He starts laughing. "Damn, Reign, I feel like I'm being interviewed. But no, I haven't. I don't want one. Before I met her, I had an ex but my feelings for her were not strong and I was just with her for the hell of it. Yo momma was my first and only real love. I never loved nobody like that before." he says, smiling a little. I gasp. He looks at me crazy. "What?" he asks. "That's the first time I ever saw you blush." I say. "You so fucking over dramatic." he says, laughing hard.

I smile. My eyes drift off to my brothers and my uncle as they play basketball. I sit up a little, staring at one of the boys from around here. I've seen him plenty of times. He's one of Noble and Majesty's friends. He's so fine but I know he's probably way older than me. I don't even know his name. Every time my brothers have friends over, my mom and dad make me stay with them because they don't want me talking to boys yet.