Chapter 3: Just My Luck

Today was a good first day of school. Trae was nice enough to show me where all of my classes were. They seem pretty easy to find so I shouldn't have much trouble tomorrow. The day went by fast and I can actually say I enjoyed myself. Everyone that I talked to were really down to earth. I even had two classes with Sydney, she's cool as hell to me.

Well, the school day is now over and I have to walk the crowded halls to get to my bus. I have no idea which exit to use so I'm just gonna follow everyone else. It's way too many students and it seems like they're all walking hella slow. I try to go around some people, but that really doesn't help much.

Finally, I found an exit but I don't see any buses. I see parked cars so this must be where the drivers leave. I look all around to see school buses on the other side of the parking lot. It isn't that far of a walk so I take my time. Next thing you know I hear the engines start up and students go to taking off. Oh lord, I don't have time for this. I don't even know where my bus is located. I take off running in the parking lot to get to the buses before they leave. I damn near got hit by a car trying to run. One by one the buses start to leave. WHAT... THE... HELL! I stand there looking dumb as hell wondering what I should do next. A car starts to blow their horn as I stood in front of it.

Ok, ok, calm down. I'll just call my mother and have her come and get me on her way from work. I look down at my phone to see its on 10%, just my fucking luck man. The phone rings and rings and rings, no answer. Maybe she's busy so I'm gonna leave a message.

"Ma. I'm at school and I need you to pick me up. I missed the bus, call me back." I say into the phone.

It seemed like all the students started to leave at once. Maybe I should try my mothers cell instead of her work number. Still, the phone continues to freaking ring with no answer. She's about to piss me off.

"Hello... Mother! I missed the bus, call me back!" I leave another message.

I stand on the sidewalk of the school and wait for a call back. I would walk home, but see I might end up lost. I would call my grandma, but she has a horrible sense of direction as well. This is some straight up BS. I know I look so dumb just standing here as everyone drives off.

"Why you just standing here, new girl?" Asks Trae.

I swear he seems to come along at the perfect time.

"My name is Jakiyah. And I missed the bus, so now I have to wait for my mother to pick me up."

"Oookkk, Jakiyah. I know your name, I just like calling you new girl. But let me drop you off, I know you don't want to be standing here by yourself." He smiled.

"I'm good. I can wait." I looked at my phone to see its on 5% now.

"What you don't want me to find out where you stay? I'm not crazy or nothing, not crazy enough to harm a pretty girl like you." I started blushing way too hard when he said that.

"Come on. I see your phone going dead. Where you stay?"

"I stay in Wood Pines..."

"That's not too far from my crib. Look, call your moms before your phone go dead and let her know I'm dropping you off. You can tell her my license plates and everything. My full name is Trae Ross. Here my ID to prove it." He really wanted to take me home.

"I trust you." I told him that, but I really didn't trust him. I was actually really scared to ride with him.

He walks me over to his black Chrysler. He had a nice car, but I don't know the name of it. He presses the button to unlock it and rushes to open my door for me. I started blushing again because I thought that was just so cute. His car had a strong stench of weed, I don't have a problem with that but I don't smoke. I looked around to see everything neatly in place. In the backseat he had a bookbag that I didn't see him carrying around in school. Not to jump to conclusions, but I figure he has weed in the bookbag.