Chapter 5: My Shawty

Two weeks later

I'm really loving Houston, even more than I loved Atlanta. I actually have friends now, well associates. Sydney and I are always over each other's houses and hanging out. We have so much in common.

And the tea on me and Trae you ask? Well, we've become really cool too. We hang out a lot on the weekend. He takes me to the mall and we sometimes go out to eat. Last week he got suspended from school for arguing with a teacher, so I've hardly seen him there. I can tell that he always tries to flirt with me, but I get so nervous that I make it awkward. Whenever we're together he wraps his arms around me and calls me his chocolate princess, since he thinks I smell like chocolate. We haven't kissed or anything yet, YET. People always tell me that he's a hoe, but for real I think females only say that because they want him. There's a get together tonight at Sydney's house and I think I want to tell him that I like him. Y'all already know I'm hella scared to say something. But Syd said it isn't going to be many people there and that I should break out of my shell. There's going to be weed and alcohol so I should tell him before he gets too messed up. I also found out that he does a lot of drugs. Not just weed, but I heard he pops pills and drinks lean. That's really none of my concern its kind of unattractive though.

So it's 6pm and I wanna be the first person to get to Sydney's house. She told me not to overdress, as if I ever do. So I put on a pair of shorts and a belly shirt to show off all my tattoos. I wore an orange tongue ring as well. I wore Bantu knots in the front row and the rest was puffed out. I tied my edges down and used my Hicks edge control so they were like perfection. I apply a little of makeup, not too much though. I was ready to head out the door, but first I kissed my grandma and mother goodbye. My mom was happy that I was finally fitting in and getting along with my peers. I grab her keys and make my way out the door.

I finally feel like a true teenager. Look at little ole me, riding around to hang out with my friends. Things are changing for the better, it must be all the yoga I been doing. My energy is on point right now. So I'm pulling up to Sydney's and there aren't any cars in her driveway which means I'm the first to get here. I check myself out in the mirror before I get out.

Knock, knock...

"Jayyyyyy! Hey baby!" Sydney greeted me with a big hug, as if we didn't just see each other at school.

We hug each other for a while before she shuts the front door. We head to her bedroom and sit on the beanbags she had spread across the floor. Her room was big and pretty. Her walls were light pink and glittery. She also had a bunch of shoes on her floor that she soon pushed into the closet. She brought chips and dip into her room and placed it on her bed. We then went into the kitchen and she pulled the blender out and some liquor. Her parents were out of town, this was the only reason she was doing this. She mixed this fruity drink up, it was so good.

"T Dawg should be here soon." She looks at me laughing, exposing her braces.

"Ew, stop calling him that. And why you telling me?" I play dumb with her.

"Girl you know you like him. I see how y'all be all up in each other's face. My brother has a crush on you, and I can tell you like him too." She sips from her drink.

I take a long sip of mines and say, "I do like him, but I'm kind of nervous to tell him. You think he like me for real?"

"Duh! Jay, everybody that be around us knows he likes you. And that nigga ain't nothing to be nervous around. He may be trouble, but if he has a soft spot for you, you should be good."

When she finished her sentence her doorbell began to ring. We both go to answer it to see some friends from school. They all get a cup for their drinks and head to the bedroom. Once everybody gets comfortable someone knocks on the door again. Sydney gets up to get it. Two minutes later her and Trae walk into the room. I got real fidgety then. He spoke to everybody except for me, but he sat down right next to me. 😐 I ended up speaking to him and then he reached to give me a hug. He petty as hell, he just wanted me to say something first. In his hand was a Styrofoam cup and he carried a stench of weed.