Chapter 49: Baby shower

A few weeks later

Today is finally the day of my baby shower. I'm so excited I woke up at 5 this morning to start my day, which isn't normal for me because I love sleep. Trae is still sleep because he was out late last night. I went in the bathroom to take a shower and brush my teeth then I'm going to fix my hair. Once I finished my shower I untwisted my hair and picked it out. Then I went downstairs to get breakfast started. Some of my family from Atlanta is staying at my house because they didn't want to pay for a hotel, which is fine by Trae and I. I'm actually surprised that all of my family is here to come to the baby shower. My family is pretty big back in Georgia and I didn't think all of them would show up.

Today is going to be so special and I'm not letting anyone ruin it. Seven months has went by so fast, it's almost time to meet my son; Derrick Antonio Ross. Just thinking about it has me all tingly inside. Once my family smelt food cooking, they came down to help. After the food was done, Trae finally woke up. We all sat down like one happy family and ate. Trae was getting along with my family very well, I'm just nervous about when my dad shows up to the shower. My dad told me he would be on his best behavior, but he said that last time too.

A few hours later

"Come on, Jay. You have to get there before everybody." My mama said as she fixed my dress.

I wore a white fitted dress with white and gold sandals. My hair was puffed out with a gold headband around the front. Trae wore a white polo shirt with white True Religion pants, white Gucci Foamposites, a gold necklace, and his grill to match.

"Okay, Ma. I'm ready, that's you." I admired myself in the mirror.

"You look beautiful, princess. Y'all gotta go, we'll meet you there." Trae kissed my forehead.

My mother, cousin, grandma, and I left their house and headed to the banquet hall. We needed to set up everything and make our payments for the hall. The baby shower doesn't start until 3:30 so we have only like an hour to actually get everything together. I'm literally on the verge of tears as I look at all the decorations. The candy buffet had chocolate covered strawberries, candy apples, cupcakes, white and gold m&m's, and Hershey kisses. I had a white and gold three tier cake with chocolate, red velvet, and vanilla as the flavors. I stuck to my original menu plans for food. Outside of the hall we set up white and gold balloons for everyone to know which room to come in. Next to the front door was a picture of Trae and I that we took a few weeks ago.

"I'm here to help!" Sydney walked into the room as we were almost finished up.

"Good, everybody get out so we can put the balloons in the box." I shooed everyone away so Sydney could help me.

Everyone except for the DJ and Sydney walked out and we quickly blew up the blue balloons and stuffed them in the giant gift box my mom and Sydney made. It's now 3:30 but everybody knows that black people are never on time for anything. Trae and some of my cousins have showed up now I can sit down and relax. My mother wanted to record the whole baby shower and send DVD's to everyone who showed up so she started videoing. Trae and I sat in front of the room next to the gift table. Sooner or later the room was flooded and it looked like all 200 guests showed up. People came over to us giving hugs and dropping off gifts. You can tell who's related to Trae's dad because they all look alike with that pretty curly hair.

"Look at my babies." Trae's mom came over and hugged us after taking a picture.

"So we just sit here and smile the whole time?" Trae joked with me.

"No, you can walk around. And tell your cousin to stop playing these DJ Screw songs, my family don't know nothing about no chopped and screwed."  I laughed.