Chapter 22: Drive-By

Trae's POV

Jay was right, I don't know why I didn't set up a DNA test in the first place. I called Gabby and let her know that I need to be for sure. Of course she got mad and started crying again. She can cry all she want, I'm not taking care of a kid that might not be mines; even if it is mines I still don't wanna take care of it. Jakiyah still mad at me, I can tell because she barely wants me talking to or touching her. Since she got hired at that job, she's always using that as an excuse to not see me. Forget that, she my baby so I be coming up to her job bringing her flowers and candy and shit. That's not really my style, but whatever it takes to get right.

But as I'm thinking and smoking, I look down to see a message from Chris on my phone.

Chris: Bro you busy? (4:50 pm)

Trae: Nah, what's up? (4:58 pm)

Chris: Your girl with you? (5:02 pm)

Trae: nope... ??? (5:03 pm)

Chris: aw cool. U by yourself? (5:04 pm)

What the fuck does this nigga want? He asking questions that he wouldn't normally ask, and it's kind of weird to me. I wondering if I should reply or ignore him. I don't have time for funny games.

Trae: I'm at home wit my ma and my unc Curtis over here. What it do? (5:12 pm)

Chris: Can I come over. We need to talk, bout some serious shit 💯💯 (5:13 pm)

Trae: yeah... Come thru the front door, not the side (5:14 pm)

Chris: iight, I'm like down the street so be lookin out (5:16 pm)

I wonder what Chris wanna talk about. I don't have time for no more bad news, I swear I don't. I told dude to go through the front door so my mama can see him and if anything go bad, she'll know he was the last person around me. I'm paranoid as hell right now, I feel like everybody trying to use me. So let's hope he on some money shit and not on nothing stupid.

I walk up the steps and then I hop on my hover board and glide to the living room. My ma and uncle were in the living room smoking loud.

"Without me?" I spun around in circles on the board.

"Don't nobody know where your lips been." My moms laughed.

Just as I was thinking of a comeback I hear Chris knocking on the door. I let him in and he greeted everybody. I figure since he wanted to talk serious, he would prefer to do it in a quiet place. So I let my mother know that we would be going downstairs. Chris wasn't acting weird or nothing, but I still got a bad feeling about this. Once we got in the basement I sat down, but he stood up.

"Bro, sit down. What you gotta talk about?" I frowned.

"Man, I can't even sit. The shit that I'm starting to realize make me wanna go back to Baton Rouge." He sat next to me and put his hand over his head.

"Boy, you been living here for like three years now. What would make you wanna go back? Let me know. You need to hold something?"

"I'm straight. But you really need to watch your boys. I don't play that funny shit, so being around some snakes make me wanna go back." He shook his head.

"Mane, let me know. What's up? You know something that I don't?" I stood up now.

"Bro, I'm telling you mane, watch your people's dog. Since I been here you had my back and I got yours. Believe me when I tell you everybody that you hold down ain't really holding you down. I just feel like it's some funny stuff going on." Chris continued to shake his head.