Chapter 18: Re Up

Trae's POV

I've been in the hospital for a week now and I've never been so eager to get home. Almost everyday the laws come in my room asking about what happened. Each and every time I tell them I don't remember nothing, only that it was like five of them. I lied and said they all had on black masks, so I wouldn't have to give face descriptions. I don't have time to make this situation deeper than what it was. Maybe they finally took the hint and will stop worrying me. Even though the doctor told me I can leave next week, the detective said I can't have my car back because the case isn't closed. They think my case may be linked to other robberies going on in that neighborhood. But man them niggas took everything I had, from the hundreds in my pocket to my shoes.

While I been in here bored to death, Jay make sure to visit everyday. She really holding it down for a nigga. Since school back in now, she come through once school out. Sydney came to visit a few times and so has Chris. Mike hasn't came to see me yet, but I'm not tripping mane. He gave a card to Sydney to give to me. He been texting me saying how he gone come see bout me, I'm just waiting. Y'all don't know how ready I am to leave this bitch. I gotta re-up and come back 10x harder. As I think about how I'm finna be balling in the mix, Jay comes into my room. I didn't even notice what time it was, all I do is sleep and eat in this hoe.

"Heyyy my baby!" She waved at me.

"What it is." I stood up to hug her.

My back was still sore so she had to be careful as she hugged me. We both sat on the bed and she handed me a bag with hot wings in it. She know how much I hate this hospital food so she be looking out. I opened the container to see the wings drenched in hot sauce and the fries covered in ranch and cheese. She a real one for this.

"You're welcome." She laughed as I was about to dive in.

"You know I'm thankful baby. That hospital food be having me starving like a hoe." I said my grace then went in.

Even though I'm sure she just ate, she stole food from my plate. I couldn't do nothing but laugh. Lately I've been noticing a glow on Jay, she's been smiling so much as if she's genuinely happy. Maybe it's because I told her I love her, which I do.

"I'm so ready for you to come home." She looked in my eyes.

"You? I been ready." I talked with a mouth full.

I just realized I had nothing to drink as my mouth became burning hot. "Damn, you ain't get nothing to drink?" I asked her.

"I didn't even think about that." She started looking through her purse.

"I'll go to the vending machine. What you want?" She pulled out a few dollars.

"Gimme a strawberry soda." I wiped my hands.

She switched away into the hall. As I waited I became even more thirsty. About two minutes later I hear her coming back. I turn around to reach for my drink to see its Mike. He's carrying balloons and a card in his hand.

"My nigga!" He says excitedly.

I dap him up and tell him to take a seat. I was happy to see him for real man. He sat across from me and looked around the room.

"Don't beat me up, I know it took me a minute to come see you big dog." He told me.

"I ain't tripping." I told him.

"I just hate hospitals, but you know that."

He was saying that, but shit, Jakiyah hate hospitals too and that ain't stop her from coming up here everyday. Speaking of her, she walks back in the room with my drink.