Chapter 17: I Promise

I really hope Trae didn't stand me up tonight. And I for sure hope he ain't with no female! Knowing he was with them knucklehead niggas earlier, who knows what he doing right now. But then again why would he text me that he would be on his way? It's like 1 am and I need to go to bed but I can't help but think about it. I worry about little dumb shit and it's probably nothing major. He probably just went to his house first and ended up falling asleep. Yeah, I think that's what it is. And he's a deep sleeper so that's probably why he's not answering the phone. Okay, I tried to convince myself, but I have a bad feeling about this. Anytime someone doesn't respond to me blowing them up, I assume something bad happened. But I know Trae is well enough to take care of himself. And when I called Mike and Sydney they didn't seem worried. Sydney even said this is normal behavior for him. Even though she said that, she called him a few times too. In the morning I'm going to check and see what happened.

Next Morning.

I wipe my eyes and grab my phone from off my dresser. I look to see if Trae has replied to any of my messages. Now that I think about it, I may have overreacted. I hope he doesn't think I'm crazy or nothing. But as I look, I still have no response from him. It's 11 am and I know he wakes up around 9 am if we don't have school. This is getting kind of weird so I'm going to call Sydney to see if she's talked to him.

Hello..

Hey, Syd. Have you heard back from Trae yet?

Girl, it's early, I'm not even woke yet. But no I haven't talked to him. That nigga probably sleep still. Why you so worried? Everything okay?

I don't know. I just feel weird about this because he told me he was on his way but never showed up. I feel like he would've let me know something...

You know his memory fucked up. My brother always do this type of stuff. Say he gone do one thing and end up doing another. You know he be out making moves hella late at night. Maybe he needed to catch up on some sleep.

You right, you right. He should have said something though...

Talk to him about it later. I'm pretty sure he'll have a good excuse, like always.

He better have one. I'm a give him a call around 1 or something.

Okay, sis. Now let me get some sleep.

Sydney knows him better than I do, so I'm going to follow her word. I leave my room to go freshen up and get some breakfast. My mother and grandma both greeted me as I sat down. I ate my small breakfast and went to pick out some clothes for today. To pass time, I went shopping with my mother. I bought a few things but my mom went overboard. I sat in the food court for a minute while she continued to shop her heart out. Even though I didn't really want to, I sent Mike a text because Trae still hasn't said anything to me.

Jakiyah: Ummm I know you probably wish Sydney would have never gave me your number... But I was wondering if you talked to Trae? (3:23 pm)

Mike: Nope. I been calling that nigga phone because yesterday he told me he was going to my cuzzo game wit me today (3:30 pm)

Jakiyah: That's weird because last night he said he was coming over but never showed up. You think he okay? (3:31 pm)

Mike: Idk., he a grown ass man. I'm not checking for that nigga mane (3:34 pm)

Jakiyah: But that's your best friend? Your brother right??? If he's not contacting us like usual don't you think something up? He always has his phone and I'm sure he should be woke by now, maybe you should go check up on him (3:35 pm)