Chapter 40: Family Matters

Trae's POV

"Ahhh!" I screamed before grabbing my chest.

I quickly sat up and rubbed over my face to make sure nothing was missing. I was sweating like I had been running miles and my heart felt like it was popping out of my chest. I checked my surroundings to see I was laying in bed by myself. After catching my breath, I quickly got up to find Jakiyah. I checked the bathroom and the other rooms upstairs and she's not up here. I ran down the stairs to find her in her favorite place, the kitchen. She was eating a bowl of ice cream and fudge at the table. Still heavily breathing, I went to her and fell in her arms. She looked lost, but still hugged me.

"I just had the worst nightmare." I covered my face.

"You okay? What happened?" She wiped the sweat from my forehead.

"I swear I'm done with these drugs, I'm through with that shit."

"Your dream must've been really bad for you to say that."

"I had a dream that I was with some random nigga that I don't even know, but in my dream we were friends. I picked him up and we got into it and he shot me up. It felt so real, like I actually felt pain.... And then my uncle and my pops." I explained fast.

"Slow down. Your uncle was in your dream? And your dad too?"

"Yeah! My pops was like a angel, and he was telling me to go with him. But I was like nah, I got shit to do. Then he was like I only got one more chance. My uncle was just smiling and shit. I'm so scared right now, I promise I'm done with these drugs. It was just too realistic."

"Wow. They were sending you a message. They're both watching over you now."

"I know, I know. I wanna apologize for putting you through this. It's just so hard for me to deal with losing people close to me, it makes me feel like I'm being punished."

"We'll work through this together."

"I need to see my mama, I haven't talked to her in days."

I hit up my mama to see where she was, and she was at my uncles house. I'm not trying to go over there, but I need to see my family. Jay was going to ride with me so I could drop her off at her grandmas to pick up some of her clothes. I'm happy that she agreed to move in, although she probably only did it because she thought I was gone kill myself.

After I dropped Jakiyah off, I pulled up to my uncles crib. This time, only my moms car was outside and I spotted a few of my cousins playing. I instantly smiled and realized how stupid I was being a few days ago. Life isn't all about me and I need to stop being so inconsiderate. As soon as I got out the car my little cousin came running into my arms. I picked her up and swung her around a few times. I gave them all hugs and kisses and made my way into the house. My mother and aunt sat on the couch looking at a photo album.

"Look at who it is." They both smiled at me.

"How y'all doing?" I sat down next to them.

"The question is, how are you doing?" My aunt asked squeezing my cheek.

"I'm better." I shrugged my shoulders.

"I was getting worried, you weren't returning none of my calls." My mother spoke up.

"I wasn't feeling good, and I lost my phone for a lil while." I put my head down because I was sorta lying to her.

"As long as you're doing better baby. If you ever need me to come over to your house and do anything I will." She rubbed my back.

"Ma, you know I got Jakiyah. I'm a give you my address though and you can come by anytime, as long as you let me know first of course." I joked with her.