Chapter 32: Hold Me Down

Trae's POV

Today I'm going to look at some houses and I want Jay to come with me. I know she's not feeling the whole relationship thing with me, but I want her to know that I'm willing to take care of her. My mama knows that I'm trying to get my own spot so she told me about a good neighborhood that me and Jay could stay in. For the first time in years my mama said she's proud of me. Y'all don't know how good that made me feel, so whatever it takes I'ma continue to take care of business. Since Jakiyah said she doesn't want to move in with me, maybe seeing this house will change her mind.

Trae: How you doin? (4:15 pm)

Jakiyah: Good, I just woke up from a nap. Thanks for asking ☺️ (4:17 pm)

Trae: That's what's up. You wanna roll wit me real quick? You ate anything yet? (4:18 pm)

Jakiyah: Yeah I ate and where we going? (4:20 pm)

Trae: to check out this house. My mama gone and I need a woman to help me out a lil bit lbs (4:22 pm)

Jakiyah: Ok, I'm ready already so let me know when u here. (4:24 pm)

I went to pick her up at her grandmas crib and she came out the house all smiles. She seemed to be in a good mood so hopefully this all goes well. I got out the car to open the door for her right after I gave her a hug. She hugged me tightly which made it hard for me to let her go. Her mother was on the front porch so I spoke to her of course. She probably thinks I ain't shit and no good for her daughter. I need to find a way to prove to her family I'm not the bad guy that they think I am. But anyways, time to get to this house.

"So you tired of staying with your mama for real, huh?" She asked me.

"Yeah, and plus I'm trying to get out the hood. You don't want our baby being raised in the hood do you?"

"Regardless of where my baby is raised, I'm going to raise it right." She said with confidence.

"Well I don't want my child living in the jungle. If it's a girl, my baby gone be a princess; she ain't gone be in the hood to find niggas like me. If it's a boy, I don't want him surrounded by the shit I'm surrounded by."

"If trouble is meant to find you it will. No matter what situation you take them out of, you should know all about that. But you right though, I don't want them in the hood." I know she is not trying to start an argument with me, she got a smart ass mouth.

"Jay, what you mean I know all about that? I lived in the hood my whole life, I've been surrounded by nothing but negativity." I tried not to sound like I had an attitude.

"God blessed you, allowed you not to go to jail for murder with Chris. You know you coulda been right on the side of him if 12 really wanted you in there. Even with this blessing you still out in the streets shooting people. It was a blessing that you got put out of school because you and me both know you would be in so much stuff if you were still going there." She crossed her arms.

"What? What are you talking bout? You went all off topic. I'm starting to think you just wanna fuss with me, but I ain't going, I'm not bout to argue." I shook my head at her.

"I'm not trying to argue, just saying. I just can't believe you killed dude."

"Jakiyah? Fuck is you talking bout? Killed who?" She started to piss me off, but I'm trying not to show it.

"Those dudes. Those dudes that shot at us that day we was riding around. Remember? The day we got into the car accident. Everybody at school talking bout how one of em dead and the other is in critical condition. I didn't say anything to nobody, but I know you had something to do with it."