Chapter 33

•2 weeks later

I was sitting down at the kitchen table with my mom when her phone rang again. She had just gotten off the phone with the doctor about the results from my second chemo appointment. The doctors said the first time went so well, that I only needed it one more time. Which I got last week. They told her today, that the cancer should be gone. I don't know how, but I thanked God. They said it was a miracle, and it truly was.

Back to the phone ringing. My mom looked at her phone and saw a number she didn't recognize.

"Who is it?" I asked her.

"I don't know. Should I answer?"

"Yeah maybe it's dad calling from the airport." I said to her. My dad and Abigail left last night to take a plane to Texas and they're still not here.

My mom nodded and answered the phone.

I couldn't hear what the other person was saying, but I heard my mom.

"No no no." She said into the phone. Tears rolled down her cheeks fast.

"No. No. How? Noooooo." She screamed into the phone. My body tensed up. I wonder who could be on the other line.

"Holy shit, holy shit I'll be there soon." She said then hung up the phone.

"What?" I said really scared and worried.

"Kenzie you have to go to Zachs house until I get back." She said crying and shaking.

"No mom what happened?"

"KENZIE JUST GO TO ZACHS HOUSE UNTIL I GET BACK!" She screamed at me hysterically crying.

I grabbed my phone and shoes and went over to Zachs. I don't know why I had to come here. I'm more than capable of staying home alone.

I got to Zachs door and Zachs mom said she already talked to my mom while I was getting my stuff together.

I walked up to Zachs room and he was sitting on his bed, on his phone. His hair was a mess and he looked like he just woke up.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" He asked me confused.

"I honestly don't know Zach." I said sitting next to him on the bed. "My mom got a call, and she kept saying no and crying. Then she yelled at me to come over here, and I'm just- I'm scared." I said. A tear rolled down my cheek and Zach wiped it away with his thumb.

"Baby, calm down. Breathe. Everything will be alright." He said holding my hand tight.

"I hope so." I whispered.

I guess I fell asleep, because when I woke up, no one was in the room. I heard talking downstairs. I got up out of Zachs bed and walked down the stairs. No one noticed me.

Everyone was crying, even Zach.

"Mom..." I said. She turned and looked at me. My dad was next to her, but Abigail was nowhere to be found.

"Kenzie we have some really bad news." She said looking down at the ground. More tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Okay.." I said getting slightly confused.

"Your sister, Abigail... She- she killed herself." My mom told me. My heart broke into thousands of pieces.

"What?" I managed to get out.

"She killed herself Kenzie." My dad said.

"Wh-why, how?" I said tears falling down my cheeks as well.

"We decided to drive up here instead of fly, and we had to stay in a hotel, that was close to here cause we got here so late. When I woke up in the morning she was passed out on the floor. I called an ambulance and she was declared dead. She overdosed on pills." My dad said. After he finished talking he broke down. And so did I.

I put my hands in my hair and pulled at it. I couldn't stop the tears from coming out.

Zach came over to me and tried to hug me, but I pushed him away.

I walked out the front door, and down to a lake not too far from our houses. I sat there and looked at my reflection from the lake.

"Why? Why? Abigail why did you do this to us? Why?" I said crying even harder then before.

"I don't want to live without you Abigail. I know I said I've hated you before, but I don't. I never did. I love you Abby, and I want you to come back." I said and put my head on my knees. There was a hand on my shoulder. I looked up and it was Zach.

"I know you want her back Kenz, but maybe she was struggling and we didn't know. She was in Cali, how were we supposed to know? She's in a good place." He said to me.

"I know. I'm sorry for pushing you away earlier. I just- I don't know. I don't want to think about how she was having a rough time and I didn't even know. I should've never left California." I said.

"Kenzie, don't say that. We wouldn't be where we are right now." He told me.

"Yeah you're right. My sister wouldn't be dead right now!" I screamed at him.

"Kenzie I didn't mean it like that. You didn't know this was gonna happen. You had no control. This isn't your fault so stop acting like it is. You're hurt right now Kenzie. But the people who need you most is your parents. So go be with them. Just please, no cutting." He said to me and kissed my lips. He walked back to his house and I got up and ran to him.

"Zach I forgot to tell you something." I said to him.

"What?" He asked.

"The cancers gone." I said, smiling weakly.

"That's fucking amazing Kenzie!" He said smiling and pulling me into a hug.

"I love you Zach, thank you. For everything."

"I love you too babe. And don't thank me. I do this because I love you. Now please stay strong for me." He said wiping away the tears on my cheeks. I nodded my head and walked into my house, where my parents were sitting at the table.

"Mom, dad."

"Yes Kenz?" My mom asked.

"Abigail is in a better place. You don't want to believe that, but I believe she is. I don't think she was happy. I wish I could've done something, but I couldn't. Mom and dad I love her so much and I miss her so much. But I can't bring her back and neither can you. I don't want to keep crying but I can't stop." I said to them and they pulled me into a huge hug.

I went up to my room and pulled out a piece of paper and started writing on it.

Dear Abigail,

Hey Abbs. I'm not sure if your reading this, but I hope you are. I just wanted to say, that I miss you already and I can't believe your gone. I wish you would've gotten help instead of taking matters into your own hands. Depression gets the worst of all of us, and it doesn't get better unless you get help. I wish you would've told me. I could've helped you too. Today, started out amazing. Mom got a call from the doctors and the cancer is gone! I thanked God when I heard the news. But when I heard this news, I cursed at God, because I want to know why he took one of the most important people to me, away from me. Abigail I love you so much, and I'll miss you forever and ever. Have fun up in heaven, and make sure to watch over us. Again, I love and miss you.
Love,
Your sister, Kenzie

I grabbed a mason jar from my room and rolled up the note. I went back to the lake I was at earlier. I put the note inside the mason jar and put on the lid. I put the jar in the water, and watched it float away.

___________________

I decided to try something new. Hope you liked the chapter and that it wasn't too sad. It was definitely sad to write.

Comment and vote for another update!

-Emily

(P.s. 3 updates in one day= yayyyyy)