A Mission With Artemis - Part II

GOTHAM CITY - July 27th

10:35PM

Desmond quickly lunged at Sportsmaster, but was caught by his sleeve and thrown into the wall.

When Sportsmaster looked back up, Artemis immediately shot three arrows at him, but he swatted them all away into the flames around him with his staff before doing a jump spin in the air towards her.

Before Desmond could move, Artemis was hit in the stomach and cried out in pain before crumbling to her knees.

Sportsmaster lifted his staff again, but Desmond jumped between the two and threw his arms above his head in an 'X' shape, successfully stopping the staff, but sending pain straight through his arms like volts of electricity.

"Not bad, newbie..." Sportsmaster laughed as he beared down on the staff.
Desmond began to crumble under the heavy weight, but roared as he threw his hands up and started punching Sportsmaster straight in the jaw and solar plexus, before grabbing him by his shirt and throwing him over his shoulder into the bench top behind him.

When he was sure that Sportsmaster was dazed, he immediately went to help Artemis up.

"Thanks..." she panted, still clutching her stomach.

"Are you going to be OK?" he asked her worriedly.

She grunted and hunched over slightly.

"Just...let me catch...my breath..."

Desmond waited for several seconds, envious of Artemis' pain resistance. If it had been him who was hit like that, he wouldn't be up for a few minutes, let alone be ready to fight.

Sportsmaster began to stir, wobbling as he stood up against the splintered bench top.

"Lucky...hit..." he groaned.

Artemis drew her bow and aimed it straight at Sportsmaster with an angry scowl.

"Give up, Dad..." she warned.

Sportsmaster scoffed as he stood up, dusting the plaster dust off his military pants.

"You're going down, Sportsmaster." Desmond told him. "At least do so with some dignity..."

He looked at Artemis, who was still scowling.

"Seriously, please just give up...I'd rather not see a girl put an arrow through her dad..."

Sportsmaster shook his head.

"Here's my counter-offer..."

Suddenly, he pulled out a walkie-talkie and turned it on.

"Light 'em up!!" he screamed into it.

Desmond didn't like the sound of that.

Artemis quickly shot an arrow through two of his fingers, knocking the radio out of his hand.

"Give up, Dad!! NOW!!" She ordered.

He scoffed again.

"I think you're the one who should give up baby-girl..."

Before Artemis could lash out again, Desmond heard a mechanical, whirring sound outside. It was loud, almost like...

"HELICOPTER!!" Artemis cried out.

Bullets began to whip through the air as Artemis jumped towards Desmond, throwing him and herself through a boarded up window to their right.

Luckily, the drop next to them was only ten feet, but doing a small, belly flop-like manoeuvre through a wooden window onto solid concrete still hurts.