The Fall of the Hawks

CAPE CANAVERAL - August 21st

11:57PM

Hawkwoman panted with fear. Desmond had already won, and without even fighting them.

"Give up." Desmond said to them. "You won't be able to fight me and protect your husband at the same time..."

"Her husband can protect himself!!" Hawkman roared, pulling out his mace.

Before Desmond could react, an energy beam from Hawkman's mace howled towards him, sending him flying through the small hill behind him with a large clap.

Smoke rose from Desmond's clothes as he groaned with pain.

Hawkman fell to one knee, pain rushing up his side.

"Katar!" Hawkwoman cried out as she knelt down to help him.

But he held up a hand in defiance.

"No...I am alright..." he protested. "Just give me a moment..."

But Hawkwoman looked up and saw Desmond getting to his feet, tearing his smoking jacket off with a scowl.

"I'm sorry, my love..." she said quickly. "But I am not sure of we have a moment!"

Hawkman quickly got to his feet and despite his pain, formed a perfect battle stance, his mace crackling with energy.

"I do not fear this child, Shayera..." he scoffed. "I know the limits of his powers..."

Desmond folded his arms.

"Oh, do you now?" he challenged.

Hawkman's fist tightened around his mace.

"You now command Superman's powers, so you can't copy ours..."

Desmond seemed a little disturbed by Hawkman's knowledge on his abilities.

"So don't waste your time trying to get close to us, boy..."

With a roar, he flew at Desmond and slammed his mace across the boy's face, sending him to the ground.

But Desmond lifted his knees up and slammed the balls of his feet into Hawkman's stomach, the impact sending him reeling.

He jumped up and punched rapidly at Hawkman's chest, but after a few punches, Hawkman grabbed both of his arms, tangling the two up.

"You don't even HAVE powers!" Desmond snapped. "Even if you did, I can already fly!"

He head-butted Hawkman, denting his helmet.

As Hawkman pulled away from the pain, Desmond tore the helmet from his face and side-kicked him back at Hawkwoman.

He threw the battered helmet onto the ground next to him, like a piece of trash.

"I'm just after the Nth Metal."

Hawkman rubbed his forehead as Hawkwoman helped him up.

"Why do you want the Nth Metal?!" Hawkwoman yelled at him.

Desmond put a finger to his lips.

"Sorry, can't tell..." he chuckled. "For me to know and for you to find out..."

But then he put his finger along his chin.

"But then again, this is one of those 'take it from your cold, dead corpse situations', so you probably WON'T find out..."

But while he was talking, the duo had flown towards him and hit him simultaneously.

"You talk too much!!" Hawkman snapped.