Epilogue - Not For The Gods

CENTRAL CITY CEMETERY - July 7th 

FIVE YEARS LATER

Dick sat before the grave, the small tears welling in his eyes coming close to a crescendo, a waterfall of emotion as he read the name on the plaque.

WALLY WEST
(1994 - 2016)

A hero, Saviour and Friend.
Even super speed is slow to the mileage of grief

"I still can't believe your gone..." he whispered sadly to the grave as he looked down, hugging his knees closer to his aching chest.
Dick remembered the last time he grieved for someone as important as Wally, the crushing sadness he felt and the hot tears of grief that stang his eyes. But that person had come back, his death nothing but a ruse in the name of combatting the enemy.
But Wally wasn't coming back, Dick knew that for certain.
This wasn't five years ago. This wasn't Batman. This wasn't the Mimic Contingency, the plan that had brought so much grief, yet so much relief and happiness to the Team.
Wally West wasn't coming back...
Suddenly, a pale hand placed a bouquet of red and yellow flowers on the ground before the grave, barely missing Dick's toes.
"I'm sorry..." a figure said next to him.
Dick didn't even bother looking in the figure's direction, his red eyes still staring at the etched words on the gravestone, making the feeling of isolation in his chest even worse.
Besides, he already knew who it was. The voice was slightly different, but he still knew who it was immediately.
"I didn't think you'd show up..."
The figure didn't say a word, worried that a single syllable would break Dick's already fractured heart, instead choosing to sit down on the ground next to him.
"How could I not?" the figure said. "My best friend just lost someone important to him..."
"Why did you REALLY come here, Desmond?" Dick finally asked.
Desmond looked at Dick slowly, finally able to maintain eye contact with him.
"I came to check up on you guys..." he said. "In light of recent events..."
Dick looked at him accusingly.
"You mean the Reach invasion?" he asked. "I was wondering which hero was defending Japan during the attack last month..."
Desmond couldn't help but chuckle, a chuckle that wasn't returned.
"Where did you go?" Dick asked him. "We kept an eye out for you every day, but you never came back..."
Desmond sighed as Dick began to assault him with questions.
"You didn't call us, you didn't send letters, emails, messages! You didn't send anything!!"
"I do believe I sent something, actually..." Desmond replied calmly. "Two something's...Two heroes..."
He looked Dick in the eye.
"How are Gar and Jaime anyway?"
Dick looked back at the grave.
"They're fine..." he said. "They have a good control over their powers now, thanks to your instructions and teaching them..."
Desmond looked away, a satisfied smile growing on his face.
"But that's not what I wanted to ask you." Dick admitted.
Desmond's heart began to sink, knowing what Dick was about to ask.
"Did you really know who the Reach were?"
Desmond sighed sadly.
"Yes." he admitted guiltily. "I did..."
Suddenly, Dick leapt up and scowled at Desmond, his tearful eyes now fiery with rage.
"And you didn't say anything?!" he yelled, destroying the cemetery's peaceful silence. "You knew what enemies the League had out there and you didn't say anything?!"
Desmond didn't even look at him.
"We could have prepared!" Dick spat. "We could have made plans to fight them! Now, because you wouldn't say anything, I just lost my BEST FRIEND!! A person who was like a BROTHER TO ME!!!"
There was still silence.
"All this time, and you could have said something..." Dick sobbed uncontrollably. "You could have just given us a warning of some kind...A message, a call..."
He wiped his eyes and cried as he looked back at the grave.
"Wally's dead now...Because you hesitated..."
"You think I don't know that?" Desmond said, his tone bordering on outrage.
Dick stopped wiping his eyes and looked at Desmond with guilt.
"Because I couldn't find out who the Reach were fast enough, I just got Wally killed. It's my fault Wally's dead."
Dick looked at him with shock.
"That's were you were going with this, wasn't it?" Desmond asked coldly. "That it's my fault Wally died? That it's my fault I just tore my team, my FAMILY apart?"
He stood up and looked Dick in the eyes again, his gaze much less calm.
"That it's my fault the Earth got attacked?"
They both looked at the grave sadly.
"I'm sorry, Desmond..." Dick said. "I didn't mean it like that..."
Desmond remained silent, understanding that he may have been to harsh as well. But some things needed to be said between the two of them, with Desmond knowing that when he came back, he would be facing five years worth of answers and problems that he left behind.
"The Earth is saved, Dick..." Desmond told him. "Safe from the Reach, The Light...We're safe against any and all threats from Space now."
Then he turned his gaze to the city around him, scanning the city as if he were expecting someone to attack them from the buildings.
"But Vandal Savage is still out there..."
Dick sighed.
"I know...We don't know where he went. The League is still looking for him..."
Suddenly, Desmond scoffed, almost as if he were about to call Dick an idiot.
"The League?" Desmond asked him. "They won't be any help..."
"What did you say?!" Dick asked with shock. "What do you mean they won't be any help?!"
"Exactly that. The Justice League is broken by the loss of Wally and will be overly vigilant in their desire to keep a eye on Earth. How can they track Savage? Not to mention the fact that the Young Justice and the League have come together, both having no idea how to organise the new team roster..."
He looked back to Dick.
"Preparation is the key to any war, Dick." Desmond said sternly. "With all the damage from the Reach that needs to be fixed, the civilians that need to be sheltered and the lash-back from the world governments, the League is not prepared..."
Dick was about to agree, when he suddenly noticed Desmond beginning to smile.
"I sent Beast Boy and Blue Beetle to you with an idea in mind..."
Dick looked at him with confusion.
"What kind of idea?"
"An expansion..." Desmond answered cryptically. "An expansion of the heroes on the planet..."
While Desmond's smile grew wider, so did Dick's confusion.
"But I thought you said the League was too confused?! To unprepared for Vandal Savage?!"
Desmond shook his head, his smile still on his face.
"Not for the League," he said. "Not for the Gods Among Us..."
Dick suddenly realised what Desmond was talking about.
"A new team..." Dick muttered.
He was about to ask more questions, when Desmond suddenly turned around and started down the hill.
"But why?!" Dick asked him. "What is all this for, Desmond?!"
Desmond stopped and turned back around, his smile dominating his whole face, making confidence exude from him like a bright aura.

"Why have a team of Gods, when you can have a team of Titans?"

'Young Justice: The Titan Convergence'

 COMING SOON