Gifts and Goodbyes - Part Two

MOUNT JUSTICE - August 15th

7:03PM

It had been nearly two weeks since Desmond left.
Two weeks since the Justice League believed that he had betrayed them.
Two weeks since the Team had become fractured.

Two weeks, and no word from Desmond.
Black Canary stood next to Red Tornado, who was patching through the various camera feeds throughout the cave.

Megan was quietly cutting vegetables for dinner, her hand moving the knife up and down emotionlessly, like a machine.

Wally was in the Training Room with Artemis was venting her rage into a worn out punching bag. She was beating it so hard that when she pulled herself away, the camera showed blistered skin on her knuckles.

Dick was sitting in his room, his head looking down in sadness. He was Desmond's best friend, and therefore took Desmond's disappearance the hardest.

Zatanna was sitting in the library, mulling over a large, dark brown book. She didn't appear upset or anxious, but for a fast reader, she was spending a lot of time on each page.

And finally, Connor, who after spending hours adjusting his bike, had wondered off to the kitchen with his head hanging down. When he reached the kitchen, he walked over to a gently sobbing Megan and put his arms around her shoulders.

Canary sighed sadly and waved her hand across the projection, making it disappear from the air.

"It is curious." Red Tornado said as the projection vanished. "Desmond did not believe himself a part of the Team and was so desperate to prove he belonged, when the Team had already accepted him regardless..."

Canary folded her arms across her chest.

"We can't let them suffer like this, Tornado..." she sighed. "We need to find Desmond..."

A small gear whirred from Tornado as he looked down at Canary.

"To help the Team? Or to detain him as the League wished to before?"

She looked at him firmly.

"That will depend on whether or not we do something before the League does."

Suddenly, there was a loud beep on he intercom.

Without another word, Canary pressed a projection in front of her.

"Superman?!" she exclaimed. "Have you found him?!"

Superman's image nodded.

"We have a lead. Call the Young Justice to the Mission Room."

But as Canary turned around, she saw the Team already running towards her from down the hall.

"What happened?!" Dick exclaimed. "Is it Desmond?!"
Superman's projection looked at the Team.

"We don't know for sure, but Manhunter is investigating a rumour Batman found in Chicago..."
"Batman?!" Dick exclaimed.

Since Desmond had gone missing, Batman hadn't shown himself either.
"Yes, sorry I didn't tell you, Dick..." Superman half-chuckled. "Batman has been in the Batcave for the past few weeks investigating leads for where Desmond could be."

He looked up, a finger curled over his bottom lip.

"Although I will admit, Batman hasn't given much information since then...He's a bit too reclusive-"

Megan suddenly shut her eyes and held out her hands, trying to reach a telepathic link to Martian Manhunter.

"Uncle J'onn?!" she called out. "Are you there?!"