A Mission With Zatanna - Part III

Outside New Orleans - August 2nd

11:50AM

The gentle humming of a revving engine filled Desmond's ears just as much as the discomfort of being jabbed filled his left arm.

"Wake up." A French voice ordered sternly.

Desmond didn't, or at least didn't want to.

"Wake up!" the voice ordered again.

Desmond slowly opened his eyes and was greeted by Reilicaf and five of his thugs, all who were grinning menacingly.

Desmond then realised that he was hanging upside down in what appeared to be the interior of a butcher's truck, evident by the bloody walls and meat cleavers embedded on a bench near the end of the truck.

He was also wrapped in so many chains that he would overwork any metal detector he came near.
Zatanna was dangling next to him, as tightly bound as he was. Her hair dangled messily in front of her eyes and her magician's coat hung down her sides like bat wings.
But the one difference was that her mouth had been covered with two large pieces of duct tape, which Desmond assumed was to stop her from casting spells.
And also unlike Desmond, she seemed incredibly angry, thrashing about and making muffled yells.

"You can protest as much as you wish mademoiselle," Reilicaf told her. "I know better than to undo your bounds..."

Desmond chuckled.

"And getting into a deal with Klarion is considered 'knowing better' too, is it?"

One of the men next to Reilicaf pistol whipped him across the face.

"Ow!" Desmond groaned.

"You are part of the Justice League, no?" Reilicaf asked them.

Desmond shook of the pain and looked up at Reilicaf.

"No," he said half-heartedly. "The YOUNG Justice..."

Reilicaf shrugged at Desmond, like he didn't care.

"What's the difference?"

Desmond looked at him with disbelief and rolled his eyes.

"Seriously? Justice League, YOUNG Justice? One's full of adults and now you have two sixteen year olds in front of you?"

The thug hit Desmond again. Desmond frowned at him.

"The Justice League would send children to fight monsieur Klarion?!" Reilicaf spat. "Ridiculous!"

"No, your clothes are ridiculous." Desmond scoffed. "I'm telling the truth.
Desmond's face was hit once again.
"Will you PLEASE stop hitting me?!" Desmond yelled.

Reilicaf scoffed and held out his hand towards the thug, who handed him a shining, ivory white pistol.
Zatanna began to panic, but felt Desmond's hand caress her delicate fingertips.

"I do find you a very...interesting individual monsieur, but I'm afraid that monsieur Klarion wants you out of the way before I can see him again.

Desmond scowled at Reilicaf as he shoved the barrel of the gun into Desmond's mouth, turning the safety off.

"Any last words, child?"

Desmond said something, but his voice was muffled from the gun barrel.

Reilicaf rolled his eyes and pulled the gun out.

"Pardonnez moi?"

"I said..." Desmond began.

He cleared his throat.

"Sniahc, Rettahs!!"

Suddenly, the chains around Desmond and Zatanna froze and shattered like glass, sending shards of metal in every direction.