Gifts and Goodbyes - Part One

MOUNT JUSTICE - August 3rd

7:12PM

Desmond sat in the lounge room of Mount Justice, still processing what Savage had told him.

He knew that just thinking of what Savage had said was tantamount to betrayal of the League and the Team, made even worse by the fact that he had already lied to Superman about meeting a known super villain.

But what made Desmond worry most was Savage's warning on his future with the Team.
"Sooner or later, they WILL betray you, Desmond.

Desmond sunk back further into the lounge with a heavy sigh.

What was he getting himself into?!

He groaned and laid back further, but heard footsteps approaching.

Superboy.

"Hey Desmond..." he began anxiously. "There's some sort of box for you here."

Desmond leaned back further until Superboy looked like he was upside down.

"A box?"
Superboy nodded.

"It looks like it's pretty important. It says it's from the League..?"

Desmond, completely confused, got up and walked into the Mission Room, where the whole Team were examining the box carefully.

"Want me to run a scan over it?" Dick asked.

Kaldur shook his head.
"It is someone else's gift." he said. "That would be very rude of us..."

Desmond got closer and without saying a word to the Team, approached Kaldur, who held the box in his hand.

It was large and rectangular, with a bright, pale blue wrapping.
Desmond, still confused, took it into his hands and held it at different angles, trying to figure out what it could be.

"It says that it's from the League..." Zatanna told him, holding a small card.

Desmond put the gift into one hand and took the card from Zatanna with the other.

"Dear Desmond." he read out loud. "You have proven yourself a valuable asset to both the Young Justice and the League countless times over, so therefore it is time you took your official place amongst the Team. BOTH the Teams."

Wally and Connor looked ecstatic.

"Whoa, dude!" Wally exclaimed. "Have you been accepted into the Justice League?! That's awesome!!"

"Yeah, Desmond!" Dick agreed, hitting Desmond's back. "Congratulations!"
With all the cheers of approval from everyone, Desmond couldn't help but smile and blush slightly.

"And with this invitation," Desmond continued reading. "You should look the part."

Desmond put the card down near his foot and opened the box. Inside it was...

"A costume?" Desmond exclaimed.

He pulled it out of the box by the shoulders and looked at it more closely.

Once again, the costume was very similar to Dick's, except slightly more armoured, the costume having thin shoulder and chest pads.
Like Robin's costume, the colour was two-toned, the sides of the costume from the underarms to the waist were dark grey whilst the rest of the costume and the pads were white.

There was also a utility belt that came with it, one that greatly resembled his current one, except with a more futuristic look.

"Oh man, that costume looks sweet!" Wally laughed.