Before I Ask

ii. Upstair Effect

PAIGE'S POV

I fully pulled the grey sweater over me, instantly feeling its relieving warmth. "Can I come in now?" Joe asked, hesitation in his slightly timid voice.

"Yea," I said then I crawled into the comforter on his bed.

He walked in with a cup of warm chocolate in his hand. He handed it to me with a huge smile on his face. "I see you found my sweater," He said.

"Found? Oh wasn't it for me? Oh shit, I can take it off-

He chuckled. "I'm just kidding. You're free to use it anytime, or any other articles of clothing in my humble closet that you'd like, although I doubt you'd like anything,"

She let out a small laugh then drank from the cup, relief distinctively flooding through her whole body. "Is it good?"

"Yeah,"

"Good," I walked around the bed and took my place next to her, sitting with the comforter over our legs.

"Is it just me or do girls pick the outfits most fit for hot days and wear them on the coldest days?" He said and as soon as he did, I nudged him lightly on the shoulder.

"I didn't know it was gonna rain, okay?" I defended. "It was sunny five hours ago,"

"Climate change, maybe?"

"Maybe,"

Silence took over the room. It wasn't awkward. When I'm with Joe, somehow silence is seldom uncomfortable. Somehow, it's bearable, enjoyable even, knowing that he's beside me. It's just me and him, underneath the covers, along with my warm cup of cocoa.

"I've got something to tell you," I said, breaking the silence between the two of us.

"What is it?" He asked, turning slightly to me.

I looked at him straight in the eye. "Do you really want me to s-"

Caspar flung the door open and said, "We need help," Joe and I looked at each other, our little, tiny moment of -almost- confidentiality disturbed by Caspar's sudden barging in.

I stood up, finished my cup of hot chocolate then set it aside on one of Joe's bedside tables. He walked beside me as the two of us made to the other room. "You have a chocolate mustache," He said, laughing a bit.

"Really?" I said. I rushed back to his room.

"Where are you going?" He said, following me back to his room.

"I'm gonna wash my face," I said, covering my 'chocolate mustache' in humiliation.

He laughed at me then pulled me close to him. He lifted up my chin with his fingers and with the edge of the wrist part of his flannel, gently wiped the traces of chocolate on the top of my lips. "There," He said. "All nice and clean,"

He smiled at me, not seeming to bother that the edge of his flannel had smudges of chocolate on it. Together, the two of us quickly went to Caspar's room. "What do ya need?" I asked.

"I need help with the lighting and the camera," Caspar said helplessly. "Something's fucking wrong with it! It's not focusing properly," He groaned, as if he's not used to making youtube videos and using his camera regularly.

I sat on Caspar's bed beside Alexa as Joe and Caspar tried to fix his camera. Randomly, I decided to rummage through Alexa's bag and coincidentally found wipes. I took one and dabbed it on top of my lips, just in case there was still some chocolate residue left.