Safest place to hide

It was late at night when Spencer finally got back home from a really hard and exhausting case. The flight from Dallas/Texas to DC took too many hours in Spencer's opinion and now he was dead tired. While he was sitting in the plane he didn't feel this tired, he even played a game of chess with Rossi and read a whole book. But now, the second he entered the apartment, he just felt the urge to sleep for the next twenty-four hours. Fortunately Hotch allowed the team to spend the next day with their families and friends, since they have had one of their longest cases since months. The boss decided to give them all a good amount of free time to recover and get over about what happened during the last days.

A tiny, but tired smile appeared on Spencer's face when he thought about a whole day off work. He felt like he could really need it after that case they just had to solve. It took them five days to finally catch a man who kidnapped young women and tortured them to death. The sight of those dead women had been horrible and although Spencer had seen many dead bodies, those were one he was sure he'd never forget. Into the bargain, this case didn't have a happy ending since both, the unsub and the last victim, died.

Spencer sighed and took off his shoes and jacket as quietly as possible. Light was burning in the living room and he assumed that his wife had fallen asleep on the couch while waiting for him to come home, and he didn't want to wake her up. It happened once in a while that she fell asleep while waiting for him, he was already used to it, but everytime he saw her sleeping on the couch he could only imagine how worried she must had been during the days he wasn't here. No one ever knew how a case would end, there was always the possibility that something bad happened to one of the agents. And Spencer knew, his wife was always afraid that something bad could happen to him.

He now glanced into the living room and couldn't help but smile. There she was laying on the couch under a purple blanket, with an open book on her chest and the brown, long hair covering a part of her face. She looked so beautiful that it took Spencer a few seconds before he could avert his eyes from her and go to the bathroom to take a shower. He felt disgusting; the last shower he had taken was more than two days ago. He also kind of hoped that the warm water would wash away the bad feeling this case had left inside of him, although he already knew that it wouldn't really help. But he could give it a try.

He immediately felt a little bit better when he left the bathroom again. But not good enough to say he was totally okay again. With still wet hair and dressed in boxers and a plain dark blue shirt he entered the living room once more. She was still sleeping, didn't even move a little bit while he had been in the shower. For a moment Spencer just stood in front of the couch, looking down on his beloved wife. The expression on her face was peaceful and for one second he thought about just letting her sleep here. But then he changed his mind, since he didn't want to sleep all alone in the bedroom. He had to spend more than enough nights on his own when the team was working on a case, so there was no way he would sleep alone again tonight. He now kneeled next to the couch and gently kissed her lips. „Hey, darling", he whispered stroking the hair out of her face. She murmured something Spencer couldn't understand, but she didn't wake up and he said again: „I'm home, baby." Now she finally opened her eyes and a smile appeared on her face as soon as she saw him. „Hey." Her voice sounded tired, but she sat up and wrapped her arms around his neck. He pulled her in a tight embrace and kissed her again. „I missed you", she whispered in his ear and caused him to smile once more. „I missed you too, darling. Let's go to bed, it's late."

He got up and pulled her up from the couch. She put away her book and followed him to the bedroom.

While she was getting ready for bed, Spencer was already in it, waiting for her to join him. „You're absolutely beautiful", he quietly said while he watched her putting on a top and some hotpants. She laughed her bell-like laugh and Spencer felt the love, he had for her, filling his chest. Sometimes he still wondered how he deserved a woman like her. He reached out one hand in her direction. „Come here." She did as he demanded and immediately snuggled into his arms, taking a deep breath. While he turned off the light from the bedside lamp, she looked him over and then frowned. „That was a horrible case, wasn't it?", she asked softly, putting one hand on his cheek. He nodded in silence and pulled her even closer to himself. „Yes, it was." He sighed. „It was hard and this time we couldn't manage to get a happy end. I had to explain the victim's parents, that their daughter will never come back home again and they broke down. They wanted to know exactly how she died and it broke my heart to tell them so and seeing how their faces changed into distress and pain with every word I was saying. It was horrible." He pressed his lips together and although only the moonlight was lighting up a bit of their bedroom, she could still see how this worked Spencer over. She caressed his cheek and put a gentle kiss on his lips. „You're home now. You don't have to talk about it anymore. Everything's okay", she said and Spencer smiled a bit. „That's right. I don't know what I would do without you. You're always there to cheer me up whenever I feel down after a case like that. You always understand me." She shook her head while he said these last words. „You're a genius, Spencer Reid. I will never fully understand you and what's going through your head. But I'll never stop trying, that's for sure." Now it was his turn to laugh. „You've been trying since four years now, darling. You're doing great in it, to be honest. Sometimes not even my teammates understand me the way you do. You did from the first moment on. Sometimes it feels like yesterday when we said I do and I still need you so much. I'll always love you."

While Spencer was talking, he was holding her in his arms, his hands stroking up and down her back. She was looking at him and it took all her control to not let the upcoming tears stream down her face. Did he even know how much she loved him? Sometimes she thought he did, sometimes she wasn't that sure. „You're everything to me, Spence. I love you with all my heart and I'll always be there for you. I know your job is hard; you have to see so many awful things. So I try to let you forget these things for a few moments as soon as you're home. That's all I'm doing, darling." It was her who kissed him this time and before they both got absolutely breathless, he ended the kiss; just to look into her blue eyes and to touch her full lips with his thumb. „You're my safe haven I can go to and hide from all the bad things that happen in this world. When I'm with you, everything seems to be far away. When I'm with you, it's just you that matters. It's just us that count." She didn't know what to say because there weren't even enough words to describe her feelings for this man, so she just kissed him again, putting her arms around his neck. He let it happen that she turned him on his back until she came to sit on his hips. „So...are you still that tired, Mister Reid or would you let me try that you'd forget all what happened the last few days?" she asked with a voice so sexy he couldn't resist. He sat up, clasped her with his arms and sealed her lips with his own. „I'm not that tired anymore", he murmured into the kiss and she let out a laugh again which he joined. While she ran her fingers through his short hair and kissed him with all her passion, he thought once more how lucky he was to have this woman by his side. She truly was his safest place to hide.