In Times Like This

Frowning, you stared at your phone. No message, no call. That wasn't usual for your best friend Spencer, who you talked to every day. And you started to worry about him again. It was only two weeks since he had lost his first love, Maeve Donovan. She had been killed by some psychotic stalker right in front of Spencer's eyes. You could understand that he didn't cope good with that.

And since days you hadn't heard from him now. Maybe you should go over and look after him? It wasn't as if he'd live in the building right next to yours. Determined, you got up from your couch and put on some shoes. Yes, you'd go and take a look at him and help him with anything, if necessary.

Arriving at his apartment door, you gently knocked. "Spence? It's me, Y/N", you exclaimed but nothing was heard from the other side of the door. Maybe he was sleeping, you thought. No, he wouldn't be. You knocked once again. And finally, after five minutes that had seemed like an eternity, Spencer opened the door.

"Y/N", he blurred out and you immediately knew he'd drank. And not tea or coffee or water. It must have been some hard stuff; he smelled like a whole liquor store.

"Spence...", you sighed and pushed yourself past him into his apartment. Spencer's usually tidy apartment looked a bit chaotic to you. Books were laying around on the floor in the living room and a bottle of Jack Daniel's was placed on the coffee table, next to a half full glass. The bottle was almost empty.

"You never drink", you said to your best friend and he just shrugged before he plumped down on the couch. You slowly settled next to him and examined his face. His cheeks were stubbly, as if he hadn't shaved since two weeks.

"Why did you get drunk?", you quietly asked. But Spencer didn't seem to be able to tell you. He just murmured something you couldn't understand.

"Okay, that's it", you eventually said and stood up again, grabbing Spencer's arm and pulled him up from the furniture.

"W-What 're you doing?", he asked, frowning. But without saying a word, you dragged him with you into the bathroom.

"You need to get sober again, Spence", you simply said while you turned on the shower. You didn't dare to undress him, so you decided to put him under the water fully clothed. Spencer didn't really understand what you planned to do and his brown, tired eyes widened in shock when you pulled him into the shower and the cold water started to running down his body.

"Y/N!", he shrieked as his clothes got soaked. You smirked at his reaction. Well, this would definitely do him some good. "My clothes!", he continued, looking like a roused puppy, but you didn't let him come out yet.

"Stay in there until your head starts to get clear again", you demanded as you sat down on the toilet lid, watching him holding his face into the cold jet of water. After ten minutes, you suddenly heard a sob escaping Spencer's mouth. You looked at him in concern, not sure if you should say or do something.

"I miss her so much, Y/N", Spencer sobbed while he leaned against the wall behind the shower; the water still running over his body. You didn't have to ask him who he missed. It was obvious that he was talking about Maeve and it broke your heart seeing your best friend like this.

Spontaneously, you stood up from the toilet lid and joined Spencer in the shower. You slightly winced when the cold water touched your skin and clothes and you reached behind your friend to turn it a bit warmer. Then you wrapped your arms around Spencer and hugged him as tight as you could. You knew, he wasn't a huge fan of hugs, but sometimes people needed a hug.

"Spence, I'm so sorry", you whispered into his ear, hoping he would hear it through the rushing water. His hands clasped into your shirt at your back and he buried his wet face in your neck. For a moment, you just stood there getting all wet while Spencer still sobbed. But you were glad he finally cried and let it out. It was about time. Apart from the moment Maeve had died right in front of his eyes, Spencer hadn't cried, you assumed. Of course, he had to let everything out at some point.

You just stood there holding him and gently stroked his back until he finally started to calm down again. Siffy, Spencer slowly pulled away from you again and turned off the water.

"Thank you", he choked and you just nodded. What should you say? There were no words that would console him. You knew how it felt to lose a beloved person. Five years ago, you had lost your fiancé through a car accident and it had ripped your heart apart. Spencer had been there for you all the time and you would be there for him now too. That was the least you could do for him.

"Let's get out of those wet clothes", you said with smile and grabbed Spencer's hand. Together you left the shower and wrapped yourselves into bathrobes after getting rid of the clothes.

Later, you helped Spencer to finally get his books up into the shelf again and pleased, you looked around in the living room. Much better. There wasn't chaos anymore. And you were sure, Spencer would feel a bit better too when he didn't have to live between all these books.

"Why...why were the books all on the ground?", you asked while you and Spencer sat on the couch, still in the bathrobes and drinking a hot cup of tea you had brought him. You knew, he was much more of a coffee drinker but tea could comfort much better.

Spencer sighed and leaned back. "Because...I was...angry. And...sad and...Maeve has loved books, mostly the same as I love. And...suddenly the feeling of throwing them all down has become too overwhelming", he explained and you just nodded. You could understand that anger. You had felt it yourself. You put a hand on Spencer's arm.

"It will get better, I promise", you said and his brown eyes looked at you for a moment without saying a word.

"I can't imagine that", Spencer murmured and his look wandered to the cup of tea he was holding.

"I know you can't imagine it at the moment", you replied, "but believe me, it'll get better. The pain...the pain won't ever go away completely, but it will ease with time." You gave Spencer an encouraging smile before you leaned your head on his shoulder. Spencer placed his head on yours and so you remained sitting there, staring outside the window and thinking about the loves you've lost. At least Spencer wasn't alone anymore. Being alone wasn't good in times like this. When his hand grabbed yours, you knew that it had been a good idea to come here. Because you didn't want to be alone neither.