What makes you different

Lisa was sitting on the couch and staring at her phone, which was laying on the coffee table. She wished for it to ring, she wished it would be Spencer, her boyfriend, who called. But it remained silent and Lisa let out a sigh. He was acting strange since a few weeks now and she didn't manage to get him to say what was going on in his mind yet.

Instead he had started being distant to Lisa and now he even stopped calling her although he always did when they were out on a case. He had always called her as soon as they'd landed where the case happened and he always called as soon as they were back in town. And Lisa knew the team must've been back here again since a few hours, Penelope had told her. But still no call or message from Spencer so far.

She got up and went to the bathroom. A hot bath and a good book after that would distract her from thinking too much about her boyfriend and his strange behavior. She let herself sink into the hot, rose-scented water and closed her eyes for a few seconds. Spencer would come home soon. And Lisa would start another try to find out why he acted this way lately. She just needed to know; she couldn't go on like this for any longer without going insane.

As she heard the bathroom door open, she winced – she must've dozed off without noticing. „Hey." Spencer was standing in the doorframe, giving Lisa a little smile. „Hey. Welcome back home." She said and was about to leave the bathtub, assuming he would've liked to take a shower after that long flight and all the work she was sure he'd done in the last couple of days. But Spencer lifted a hand to signalize her to stay in. „It's okay, just stay in there. I'll get me something to eat and take a shower later." With these words he left her alone, confused and with her worrying thoughts running through her mind again. There was no way he would get away with his behavior any longer, Lisa just decided. She grabbed two towels, wrapped one around her naked body and the other around her wet hair and left the bathroom.

She found Spencer in the kitchen, leaning against the kitchen table while starring into the pan filled with water, waiting for it to broil for putting in some pasta. „Spencer?" She asked, coming closer. He turned around, looking surprised. „What?"

„Why are you acting like that?" Lisa wanted to know, feeling her heart pounding fast against her chest. He averted his eyes from her, suddenly looking insecure. „What...what do you mean? I'm not acting any different." Even if his voice wouldn't have shook a bit while he said that, Lisa would've known that he was lying. „Come on, I know there's something going on with you right now! You're so distant and you don't call me as much as you used to and...just tell me what the hell is going on!" She crossed her arms in front of her chest, staring at Spencer while she waited. He let out a sigh and looked down at the floor. „Just talk to me." She begged. „I just...don't understand why you're with me." He now started, causing Lisa's jaw to drop literally to the floor. „What?" Her voice was just a whisper now. „Lisa, you're such an amazing woman, so wonderful and pretty and everything a man could wish for and I'm...just look at me! My hair's always a mess, I ramble too often, I wear different socks, I...I'm just weird! And you have no idea how often I fear that you might suddenly leave me! How...how can I be sure that you'll stay with me? How can I be sure that you won't meet another man one day, one who is better looking than me, who is more often at home than I am, who is better in general for you than I am?" His voice had become louder with every word he said but was also shaking a bit and his hands whirled around in the air. Lisa just grabbed them and looked him in the eyes. She couldn't believe what he just said. She didn't have any idea of what was going on in Spencer regarding their relationship and she suddenly felt guilty. Maybe she didn't show him enough what he meant to her.

„Spencer...please stop thinking about such things! I can assure you, I love you. Only you. Oh god, you have no idea how much I do! Yes, you might be different from other guys but that's what makes you such an amazing and beautiful person! I love that you're different. I love your rambling and your hair. I love to run my fingers through it." Lisa smiled and did what she just said, running her fingers through his messy hair and was relieved to see a little smile on his face. „I love that you always smell like coffee and paper and that you struggle with anything that's got to do with sports. I do as well, you know. I even love your addiction to Star Trek or Doctor Who. I. just. love. you. Didn't I show you that enough?" She now quietly asked, slightly worried she didn't appreciate him enough in the last weeks. She had been busy with her own job as well and it could happen very easily to not find enough time for the partner anymore in such stressful days.

Spencer let out a sigh and finally wrapped his arms around Lisa. „Of course you did. I'm sorry, I didn't want to say you're not showing me enough. It's just...those thoughts appear in my mind from time to time. Sometimes I can't believe that a woman like you could love a man like me." She shook her head in disbelief. „Don't be silly, Spence. I'd rather have you than some guy who looks like a fucking film star but doesn't appreciate me the way I am. I love you for who you are, Spencer Reid. You make me feel pretty and loved. You're there for me whenever I need you. You make me laugh." Lisa smirked now while stroking his neck. „Really?" She nodded. „Really. Listen, whenever these thoughts should appear again, cut them off. Because you can be sure I'll always love you. You're the one for me, okay?"

„Okay. I love you, Lisa." He whispered and pulled her into a tight hug. She closed her eyes, holding Spencer in her arms and when she let go of him he finally kissed her. God, how much she had missed his kisses while he had been away! They both laughed and her heart made a little jump seeing his beautiful smile again. She just wanted him to be happy because he was the reason why she was happy.

They both let go of each other when they heard the boiling water spilled over the border of the pan. „Oh shit!" Spencer shouted and hurried to take the pan off the burner. Lisa laughed and hugged her boyfriend from behind. „Let's make some delicious pasta now." She suggested with a smile and her heart made a jump in her chest when she saw Spencer smiling back at her once again.