Just one last dance (Part One)

With his arms resting on his thighs Spencer sat on a chair next to his girlfriend's bed. The steady beep that came from a monitor on the other side filled his head and he closed his eyes. The noise was about to give him a headache, but he remained where he was sitting. No one and nothing would've been able to bring him away from Michelle. Michelle, his beautiful girlfriend, the woman that was lying there, weak and pale. They were a couple since two years now and Spencer knew she had been battling cancer, more precisely leukemia, for three years. She'd told him about her illness when things became serious between them and although Michelle had thought he'd leave her immediately because he wouldn't have got time and the nerves to have a girlfriend that was so ill, he was still there. He was there during her good days and her bad.

First there had been the hope of a bone marrow donation, but the doctors couldn't find anyone who would've been able to donate. In his despair Spencer had even asked all of his colleagues from the BAU to get tested. Maybe one of them would've been the right donator. He himself let his bone marrow test as well. But none of them had been positive. No one of them was able to help Michelle and save her life.

The young agent sighed and buried his face in his hands. He was tired. So tired. Three days ago he had to bring Michelle back into hospital again. She had been home for almost two weeks after chemotherapy but then started to feel miserable again what had worried Spencer a lot so he'd taken her back in here. Since then he hadn't left her side. The doctors had come in, checking on Michelle, writing something down on their papers and left again. No one had spoken to the young man until he'd stood up once and asked what was actually going on with the woman he loved. The doctor had sighed and told him that time was running out. Michelle would die within the next months or even weeks without a bone marrow donation. When Spencer had heard these words from the doctor's mouth, he'd finally started to realize that he was about to lose her. He'd left the room, but only for a few minutes to calm himself down. He'd went back in again almost immediately, he'd just didn't want to leave Michelle alone.

A slight coughing from Michelle brought him back into present and he carefully took her cold hand. He gently stroked the back of her hand with his thumb. She didn't wake up and Spencer knew she was just too weak. He pressed his lips together to hold back upcoming tears. No, he wouldn't cry now. He had to be strong for Michelle; he had to encourage her to fight although she was so tired of fighting. Spencer watched her sleeping. His eyes wandered over her body and stopped at her head. There was no hair anymore. Nothing from her soft, blonde hair had stayed it was all gone. Spencer leaned forward and gently stroked Michelle's bald head. He suddenly remembered the day when Michelle's hair started to fall out.

"Spencer, go away!" He could hear Michelle's voice. She was crying but there was no way for Spencer to get to her. She had inclosed herself in the bathroom and refused to open the door since almost half an hour, no matter how hard Spencer tried to change her mind. "Michelle, please! Don't be silly and let me in! I'm your boyfriend! You can't shut me out right now!" He shouted so she could hear him through the closed door and her sobs. "Michelle!" He knocked on the wood. "Come on, let me in." His voice was soft and low. He knew she was going through hard times and all he wanted was being there for her. "I-I don't want you to s-see me like t-this." She stammered from the other side and Spencer couldn't help but smile a little. She seriously thought he would stop loving her as soon as leukemia and chemotherapy would show its ugly face. "Michelle, you're being silly. I love you, no matter how you look. Just let me in now." Spencer had a hard time to hold back a sigh. This discussion tired him. And right before he was about to walk away to leave Michelle alone, she finally opened the door. Her eyes were red from crying and her cheeks were wet. She wasn't able to say anything but she didn't have to anyway. Spencer made a step forward and pulled her into his arms. Her fingers clenched the fabric of his sweater as she buried her face in his chest. Little sobs left her mouth. "Shhh, it's okay, baby. It's okay." Spencer tried to soothe his girlfriend. "No, i-it's not, Spencer. I-I'm losing m-my hair." She choked. He shook his head and pulled her from himself so he could look into her face. "It's just hair, Michelle. Nothing more. You don't need it." He smiled encouraging and gently whipped away the tears from her cheeks. "I'll always love you. And you should know that." He was relieved when he saw the little smile on Michelle's lips. But then she let her hand run through her long, blonde hair and the smile faded again. As she reached out the hand to Spencer, he could see that she held strands of hair in it. He grabbed her hand and told her to sit down on the toilet lid. "You're losing your hair. We knew this would happen sooner or later." Spencer quietly said as he kneeled in front of his girlfriend. "Let's get rid of it now."