Someone's watching over me

Alicia was throwing herself from one side of the bed to another, not able to find any comfortable position. Her nose was blocked, the throat hurt like hell even when she wasn't swallowing or speaking and she had the feeling like her head would explode at any second. With a frustrated and exhausted sigh Alicia opened her eyes and glanced over to the alarm clock. 4:30am and although she had been in bed all day long, she just couldn't find proper sleep. She turned on her back and immediately felt that uncomfortable feeling crawling up her chest and throat, which made her cough for the next five minutes. Trying to get new air into her lungs, Alicia sat up and somehow managed to get out of bed. Feeling dizzy and weak, she made her way across the corridor into the kitchen. A glass of water would help her coughing stop. At least she hoped so.

A few minutes later Alicia clumsily let herself sink onto the couch. She hadn't bothered to turn on any light; she was just sitting there, trying to breathe through her nose. And failed. She was death tired and started to get angry about this whole situation. No nasal spray, no pills against Alicia's pounding headache and no lozenge had helped her to feel at least a bit better within the last hours. It looked like she'd catched a huge cold. And she was alone. Her boyfriend Spencer was out on a case since three days and she didn't know when he'd come back from it. Alicia curled up on the couch and suddenly sleep overcame her and she drifted away. Finally.

When she heard noises, she startled and sat up, immediately feeling dizzy again. Alicia squinted her eyes to make the feeling go away. "Spencer?" Her voice almost cracked; the burning pain in her throat almost causing tears to build up in her eyes as she tried to get up from the couch. She saw him walking into the living room while getting rid of the tie around his neck. When he saw his girlfriend, he frowned. "Alicia? What are you doing here in the living room? It's almost 6 in the morning." He let himself sink next to her, only to see how poorly she was at the moment. He gently put his hand on Alicia's forehead and his eyes got bigger. "Baby, you're glowing!" She couldn't answer; she just shrugged and then buried her face in Spencer's neck. She had missed him so much – she always did, but when she was ill she missed him even more and now she couldn't stop a few tears from streaming down her cheeks. "Hey, hey, don't cry." Spencer quietly said and cupped her face. His hands felt comfortable on her burning cheeks. "I just...missed you and I...I feel awful." Alicia managed to say, her voice cracking every few words. Spencer got up and grabbed her hands. "Okay, it's time to bring you back to bed. Come on." He helped her getting up and led her to the bedroom where she curled up under the duvet and closed her eyes. "How long are you having that flu now?" He wanted to know as he sat down on the edge of the bed. "Since...since yesterday. It just hit me real hard." Spencer gently put a strand of hair behind Alicia's ear and placed a kiss on her forehead. "Would you like some tea? Or a soup? Or should I bring you to a doctor? You seriously don't look good." Alicia managed to smile a little when she heard his words and then shook her head. "No, thank you. Can you...just come here and lay with me?"

"Just give me some minutes and I'll be with you." He promised and left her alone to go and take a shower. Alicia sighed and rolled onto her other side. She was almost drifting away into sleep when she felt the mattress move and Spencer crawling next to her. She scooted closer and let him take her in his arms. "I'm being egoistic." Alicia said, opening her eyes again to look at his pretty face. He frowned. "Why?"

"Because I'm having the flu and want you to be near me and hold me and I didn't even think one second about the risk that I could infect you." A fit of coughing interrupted her and Spencer stroked her back as she tried to fight against that cough. "You okay?" He asked and Alicia nodded, not able to say one single word. "I just want to sleep." She moaned. "Did you take anything to fight that flu, love?"

"Some stuff, yeah." Alicia murmured and snuggled into Spencer. He sighed. "Okay, try to get a bit of sleep now. I'm here and I won't go anywhere." He promised.

~

Alicia woke up when the sunlight, which was shining through the curtains, tickled her nose. Spencer was still holding her in his arms and she saw he'd fallen asleep as well. Carefully she sneaked out of his embrace and got up. She was thirsty and her throat still felt like it was on fire. The young woman needed something to drink, so she lumbered into the kitchen. Her head still hurt and she felt even dizzier than some hours ago. Alicia tried to take a deep breath to get rid of that feeling but it didn't help. Just as she opened the fridge, she felt the world around her moving faster than usual and suddenly everything went black...

"Alicia? Oh my god, Alicia come on open your eyes!" She heard a voice from far, far away. It slowly came nearer, hands patting against her cheeks. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked into Spencer's worried face. "What...what happened?" She asked while he carefully helped her sitting up. "You passed out right here, in the kitchen, sweetheart." He murmured. "Oh..." Was everything Alicia could say at this moment. She felt weak, tired and the giddiness was still there. She let Spencer help her up on her feet but as soon as he let go of her, she started to waver and had to grab his arm again. "Okay, that's it." He said and before she could say or do anything, he'd put one of his arms under her knees and the other one under her shoulders so he could lift her. "What are you doing?" Alicia murmured while leaning her head against his shoulder. "I'll bring you to the doctor. You still have a fever and you passed out." He sounded determined so she knew she'd better shut her mouth and won't answer him back.

~

Two hours later Spencer helped Alicia back into bed. The doctor had given her lots of antibiotics she would have to take daily until she'd feel better. There's nothing more she could do at the moment. "I'll make you some soup. You have to eat something to get better." Spencer said and put a kiss on her cheek.

He came back some time later to find the love of his life asleep. He put the soup plate away onto the bedside table and crawled next to her. She looked peaceful although Spencer knew she still was terribly ill.

Alicia's sore throat woke her up a few minutes later. "Hey, darling." Spencer quietly said and stroked her arm. "How are you feeling?"

"Still like crap." She sighed and scooted closer to cuddle with her boyfriend. "I'm glad you're here. Being ill sucks. But it sucks even more when you're not with me." She whispered and felt Spencer chuckle – his chest was moving under her head. "I won't go anywhere the next days, I promise. I'll take care of you until you're well again. Don't worry, baby." He kissed her head and wrapped an arm around her. Listening to his steady heartbeat, Alicia soon found more sleep. And it was well known that sleep was one of the most important things to recover again.