Out of my hands

She felt the phone slipping out of her hands and she heard the sound it made when it hit the floor but she wasn't able to grab it or even move. She just stood there, in the middle of the office at the BAU, feeling paralyzed. She had wanted to visit her boyfriend of 14 months when she got a call from her mom: "Sweetie, your grandfather passed away last night." All of a sudden her legs started to feel weak, her whole body started to feel like it would break down any minute. Her hand wasn't strong enough anymore to hold the phone, so she dropped it.

"Katie?" She heard a familiar voice, it sounded like it came from far away, but she felt hands on her shoulders. Slowly she lifted her head. Through all the tears that were filling her eyes, Dereks face was blurred. "Hey sweetheart, what's the matter?" The tall, dark man shook her softly and Katie opened her mouth, but everything that left her lips was a sob. "Reid! Come over here! Something's not right with your girlfriend!" Derek shouted, still holding onto the young woman. He noticed her phone on the ground and grabbed it. The connection got cancelled. You saw Spencer rushing over to you, a worried expression on his face. "Hey baby. What's the matter? What are you even doing here?" He took Derek's place, putting his huge hands on your shaking shoulders. "I...I just...got...a call...from my...my mom..." Katie choked, trying to breathe in some air at the same time. "Okay, you need to calm down. Come on." Spencer wrapped an arm around her shoulders and led her to one of the chairs, Derek following them. As soon as she sat on a chair, Spencer knelt in front of her, putting his hands on her knees. "Try to breathe slowly. In and out, in and out." He grabbed her hands now, squeezing them to show her he was there. And it worked. Katie started to breathe slower; she could even take deep breaths again. "Good, that's good." Spencer quietly said, stroking her hair. She clenched his hands, searching for something to hold on to. Spencer frowned. "Darling, what's the matter? What happened?" His soft, quiet voice just brought new tears into her eyes and she had a hard time to not fall into sobbing again.

"My...my mom just called me. I just wanted to visit you and...and say hi and ask you if you...if you'd like to visit my grandpa with me tomorrow...tomorrow morning. And she...she told me that he...passed away last...last night." Katie stammered, tears streaming down her cheeks. Spencer lifted his hands, cupped her face and gently wiped away the tears with his thumbs. "I'm so sorry, darling." He whispered and pulled her into a hug. She grabbed his sweater and buried her face in his chest. "Shhh, shhhh, it's okay, baby." Spencer tried to console her. Meanwhile Emily and Rossi had come over to check what was going on here. Derek quietly explained to them. "He should bring her home." Emily murmured; Derek and Rossi nodded.

"Reid, bring her home." Derek said, placing a hand on his best friend's shoulder. "But Hotch..." He said because he knew he'd have to inform his boss about his absence. "Don't worry, I'll tell him. Katie is more important right now, we don't have a case anyway at the moment." Spencer nodded now and got back up on his feet, pulling his girlfriend with him. Katie's legs felt weak; she had to hold onto Spencer's arm as he led her out of the office and out of the building.

The ride back home was quiet. Katie was starring out of the window, her tears were now dry, but Spencer could see from the hand she was clenching into her jeans, that she just tried to keep her feelings in control. Several times he opened his mouth to say something, but he didn't know what. So he remained silent.

"Okay, we're here. Do you...do you want me to stay with you today?" Spencer asked and looked at his girlfriend. She just nodded, not saying anything. So Spencer got out of the car and rushed over to her side to open the door and help her out. When Spencer brought her into her apartment, she just whispered a thank you and then disappeared into the bathroom. Spencer let her go. She seemed to need some time for herself. It wasn't even an hour ago when she received the news of her grandfather's death. And it seemed to have hit her really hard. Spencer knew how much she loved her grandfather, so her reaction wasn't surprising. He lingered into the kitchen and decided to cook something for her while she was in the bath.