Baby Bump

Nervously, Hilary paced back and forth in her apartment. Five minutes. She had to wait just five minutes. But they felt like an eternity to her. Biting her nails, Hilary stopped in front of the window and stared outside. It was raining since days and first she had thought, her feeling awful had something do with the constant change of the weather. One day, it was sunny and hot, the other it was rainy, cloudy and cold. No wonder, Hilary's circulation was acting weird and made her feel dizzy and unwell.

It was three days ago when she realized she hadn't gotten her period and slowly, Hilary had allowed that one thought crossing her mind: maybe she was pregnant? She had tried to forget about that again. No, that wasn't possible. She hadn't had sex with anyone in months.

Except...for that one night two months ago with Spencer, her colleague at the FBI. Hilary groaned when she thought back to that messy night she barely remembered. And she knew, Spencer could only remembere a few things of what had happened, as well. They had both been drunk and had ended up at Spencer's apartment, having sex.

The next morning, Hilary has had the biggest hangover of her life so far and had barely remembered what had happened. When she'd realized that she was laying in Spencer's bed, naked, she had jumped out of it and grabbed her clothes. But she hadn't had the chance to leave unnoticed. Spencer had woken up just the minute Hilary had reached to bedroom door. He'd barely remembered as well and they both had been embarrassed that it had escalated between the two of them like that.

Since then, their relationship was a bit strange, but Hilary had started to live with it. She still liked Spencer, they still were friends and colleagues. But it was different between them now. Of course, it was. They had slept with each other and although they both could barely remember, it had happened.

When Hilary's phone started to ring, telling her that those five minutes were over, she literally jumped. She had been lost in her thoughts so much, she had almost forgotten about the stick that was laying in the bathroom, waiting for her to check on it.

With her heart racing in her chest, she slowly walked back into the bathroom. There it was laying. Hilary glanced at it from afar, not feeling the courage to finally grab it. "Don't be such a coward", she murmured to herself before she finally went over and took the pregnancy test.

Two stripes. There were two stripes, and Hilary knew what this meant. Groaning, she let herself sink on the toilet lid. She was pregnant. "Fuck, fuck, fuck", she let out and tried to hold back the tears that were forming in her eyes. But it didn't work. They started to stream down her cheeks now and she buried her face in her hands.

How could this have happened? Hilary thought they'd used a condom! And she was taking the pill, so what the hell had gone wrong? And how should she explain to Spencer that she was pregnant and he was the father? He'd freak out, Hilary was certain about that. She couldn't tell him.

Throwing the pregnancy test away some minutes later, she went back to the living room and curled up on the couch there. But although she felt incredibly exhausted, there was no way she could fall asleep. Too many thoughts were running through her head right now.

~

The next morning, Hilary felt shattered when she crawled out of bed and got ready for work. She had to be in the bureau at nine and didn't want to come too late. On her way to work, she tried to imagine how she could tell Spencer about her pregnancy, but as soon as she pushed open the glass door to the bureau, Hilary changed her mind. She couldn't tell him, not yet. She wasn't even sure what to do with that news! She didn't even know if she wanted to keep this baby. And as long as she hadn't made a decision, she didn't feel like telling Spencer.

But Hilary might have underestimated Spencer's ability to see when something was bothering his friends. And he considered Hilary as one of his friends.

"Hilary, are you doing alright?", the genius agent asked; a concerned look in his ridiculously pretty face. Hilary just nodded while she made herself a cup of tea in the break room. "You're making tea", Spencer stated.

With raised eyebrows, Hilary looked at him. "Aaaand? Am I not allowed to make some tea?", she snapped, although she didn't mean it. But it was like her hormones were already going crazy and so was her stomach. She felt a bit like throwing up soon.

Spencer shrugged. "Sure, you are. You just...never drink tea when there's coffee", he said and Hilary couldn't hold back a sigh now. Why was he so good at profiling? She didn't want to talk but Spencer didn't seem like giving in.

"Come on. You know you can talk to me. Just...just because we...we had...sex doesn't mean that we can't be friends anymore", he stammered and Hilary rolled her eyes at him before she threw away the tea bag.

"Oh well, it's not as if our night of drunk sex didn't change anything", she murmured absent-mindedly and didn't see Spencer frown.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm pregnant, genius boy", she burst out without even thinking a second. When Hilary finally realized what she had just said, she covered her mouth with a hand and her eyes widened.

"You're...what?" Spencer's jaw had dropped and he obviously was at a loss of words. And that almost never happened.

"I'm...I'm pregnant", Hilary sighed. There was no way that she could hide it from him and she strangely felt a bit relieved now that she had finally told him. Although she had only known about her pregnancy since yesterday, it had already felt like weeks to her.

"Do you think that I'm...I'm...", Spencer stammered. Hilary nodded before he could finish his sentence.

"Yes, Spence. You're the father", she quietly said and then took a sip of her tea.

"How can you be so calm while telling me that our One-Night-Stand has turned into you being pregnant?!", he eventually exclaimed; his voice a few octaves higher than usual.

"What else should I do, Spencer? Freak out?", Hilary asked, "that wouldn't help, really." She now sat down on one of the chairs, her cup of tea still holding in her hands. Spencer joined her, still looking shocked. But it seemed as he was trying to get used to the thought that he was going to be a dad. If Hilary would want to keep the baby, of course.

"What...what do you want to do know?", Spencer quietly asked and Hilary couldn't figure out what he wanted. For a moment, she remained quiet and tried to get her thoughts in order. Something that wasn't as easy as she had hoped.

"Well...I'll keep it", she eventually said and when she saw the spark in Spencer's eyes and the smile that was forming on his lips, she couldn't hide a smirk too. Yes, this might have gone out of the way, something she had never planned but it had happened and she would take the responsibility.

Spencer scooted his chair a bit closer. "If...if you want, I'd help you. I'll stand by your side no matter what. There's always two being responsible for that", he said.

Hilary smiled at him. "I'd love that", she whispered, suddenly overwhelmed by her emotions. And when Spencer reached out a hand and gently put it on her stomach, Hilary couldn't hold back her tears for any longer.