Beautifully broken

It was late, almost midnight, but Spencer wasn't really tired. Although he just had came back from a long, hard case, he'd only spent a few hours in his apartment before he'd felt like going somewhere else. These four walls, in which he lived all alone, made him feel lonely sometimes. And tonight loneliness had hit him quite hard. So he'd decided to stroll through the streets just to end up in a bar. He now was sitting at the counter, with a beer in front of him. From time to time he took a sip while he listened to the live music played by a bunch of young men. They were pretty good and Spencer enjoyed listening to them. He looked around, curious of what kind of people were in here. It wasn't like that bar was down-and-out, no. It was actually a really nice place with comfortable, nice looking sofas, smaller and bigger tables – so groups of more than three or four people would find a place to sit down together and have some drinks.

The bar was almost full although it was right before midnight. It looked like there were some more people who didn't intend to go home and sleep very soon. Spencer turned around again to drink his beer as his eyes spotted a young woman. She was sitting at the counter as well, her long dark hair falling in her face so Spencer wasn't able to properly see it. He also couldn't figure out if her hair was black or a darker brown. He frowned as he witnessed her for a few seconds. A glass filled with brown liquid was standing in front of her and Spencer assumed it was whiskey. She must've felt his eyes laying on her, because suddenly she lifted her head and looked up, right into his direction. Spencer immediately averted his eyes but he could've seen that she looked sad, broken. But she was still beautiful somehow, he thought. Her mascara was blurred under her eyes and on her cheeks, what told the young agent that she must've cried only minutes ago. For a moment Spencer thought about walking over and appeal to her. Should he? Or better not? He decided to go over. Another glance in her direction, he drank the rest of his beer off the reel. Then he slipped from his bar stool and made his way towards the young woman.

„Hi." He said as he sat down next to her. She slowly turned her head to look at him and grabbed her glass just to take a huge sip of the whiskey. She didn't say anything and so did Spencer. He just didn't know what to say. Why did he even come over here? What had he even thought? He wasn't any good in making conversations with strangers, especially not with women he didn't even knew. But he kept sitting next to her, watching her drinking her whiskey and she looked like it hadn't been her first glass of it tonight. But Spencer didn't make any comment about that. She looked desperate and as long as he didn't know why, he wouldn't judge her for anything.

After minutes in silence, Spencer cleared his throat and glanced at her. "My name's Spencer. What's yours?" She didn't answer for some moments and Spencer just waited. He was patient. "I'm Cayleigh. Cay." She finally said without looking up at him. „Cayleigh? That's an interesting name. Well...I think that you could need someone to talk to." He continued, thinking that if he just kept talking to her, sooner or later she'd talk to him as well. „I'm...I'm a good listener and...sometimes it's easier to talk to a stranger than to friends or family." She looked at him for a while, her brown eyes were red from crying and she pressed her lips together as if she had to keep back new tears. „So, you think I...I want to talk to you?" She asked, her voice sounded rough from the alcohol and the tears. Spencer nodded. „Only if you want, of course." She looked back into her glass of whiskey – it was empty right now. „Okay." She slowly got up and as soon as she stood on her feet, she started to wobble. Spencer grabbed her arm to support her. „I guess we should go outside. Fresh air will help you." He murmured and guided her outside the bar after he'd put some money on the counter.

The air outside was comfortable since it was the end of summer and still quite warm at night. But she wrapped her thin jacket a bit more around her shoulders and her chest as she walked down the street. Spencer walked next to her, his hands hidden in his pockets. For a while they both didn't say anything. Spencer was waiting for her to start speaking and he didn't want to push her. And she didn't know where to begin, so she tried to find a start. Eventually she took a deep breath and tucked her hair up behind her ears. "I was engaged." She started, her voice slightly trembling. "I loved him with all my heart. I thought he was the man I'd spend the rest of my life with. But then..." Cay stopped and gestured while trying to find the right words to continue. "I...I once came home earlier than usual and saw a car parking in front of our apartment building. A car I didn't know. And I went in; I thought that someone else had guests over. But when I entered the apartment, I...could hear these sounds..." She bit her lips and put her hands into the pockets of her jacket. "He was cheating on you?" Spencer quietly asked when he saw she seemed not to be able to say those words. Cay nodded. "I was shocked. I couldn't believe my eyes and when he realized I was standing there at the door to our bedroom, where he was having sex in our bed with some bitch, he literally jumped out of it and tried to make up stupid apologies. But I didn't listen. I just...I threw him out of the apartment, half naked and threw all his stuff down the street...I even threw the engagement ring right into his face. I wasn't even sorry...I was just so...so angry and disappointed." Cay let out a frustrated sigh and ran her fingers through her hair. Now she looked even more sad and desperate and Spencer felt the urge to wrap an arm around her shoulders and tell her that she would be fine again sooner or later. But he didn't say anything and his hands remained in his pockets. They were strolling through one of the little parks in town and once again there was silence between them. "I can't believe I'm telling all of this to a stranger." She suddenly said and looked up to him, a small but sad smile on her face. Spencer gave her an encouraging smile back. "Like I told you, sometimes it's easier to open up towards someone you don't know."