Doctor Reid

Waking up after a long, hard case was always hard but today Brooke felt like a truck had driven over her when she finally managed to open her eyes. The young woman turned around to grab her phone and then she realized that her whole body hurt. With a groan escaping Brooke's lips she lay back again and closed her eyes. She felt awful. During the flight back home last evening she'd already felt tired and exhausted and had a slight sore throat, but she'd never thought that she'd feel like this after some hours of sleep. But she did.

After some more minutes Brooke started another try to get out of bed. There was paperwork to do in the office since they all didn't get called up for a new case so far. But at the moment Brooke wasn't sure if she'd even make it to the office today. With weak knees she made her way to the bathroom to get the clinical thermometer, just to check her temperature. She sat down on the couch while she waited. Soon the thermometer told Brooke yes, she was running a fever, actually a quite high one. Brooke sighed and grabbed her phone. It was time to call in sick at work. There was no way she'd go and sit on her desk while she felt like this: she could barely swallow because her throat hurt so much, she couldn't breathe through her nose because it was blocked, her head felt like it would explode any minute and the coughing fits she started to have were the worst. While Brooke listened to the free-line signal she carefully breathed through her mouth, trying not to fall into another coughing fit. "Hotchner?" She heard her boss' voice. „Hi Hotch." Brooke choked out and her voice almost cracked. "Wow Brooke, are you okay?" The young agent shook her head until she realized Hotch couldn't see her. „No, not really. I guess I've catched the flu."

„Okay, you better stay home then. Someone else will do your paperwork, don't worry." Hotch said and Brooke smiled at his words. He was an understanding boss and of course he wouldn't want to see her appear at the office when she was sick. "Thank you." Brooke whispered. „Get well soon, Brooke and take care." Hotch said before he disconnected the call. Brooke curled up on the couch, not feeling able to walk back into the bedroom. She grabbed the purple cuddly blanket that was placed on the back of the couch and pulled it all over herself. Only a few minutes later she'd fallen back asleep.

~

"Does anyone know where Brooke is?" Spencer looked around, but all his colleagues, which were sitting at their desks, shook their heads. Spencer frowned. Brooke was never too late. She was always way too early, like him. He turned around in his chair to search the room for Hotch. Maybe he'd know more. Just the moment the young genius had gotten up to enter Hotch's office, he came down the stairs. "Brooke is sick at home, so some of you will have to do her paperwork as well." He explained. Everyone nodded. „Yeah, she already didn't look that good yesterday." JJ murmured as she made her way to her desk again. Spencer let himself sink into his chair and turned around to face all the files he had to work on today. But he suddenly couldn't concentrate anymore. What was Brooke suffering from? They were friends and Spencer had expected her to tell him when she wasn't feeling well. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and sent her a short message.

Hotch told us you're sick...is there something I can do for you? Is it bad? What are you suffering from?

When he still didn't get an answer half an hour later, Spencer decided to leave. He was worried about Brooke and felt like he just had to go look after her. "Hotch?" Spencer sneaked into Hotch's office and his boss looked up, a slightly confused expression on his face. "Uhm, I...I'd like to go and check on Brooke. If...if she needs something or..." The young agent stammered what put a little smile on Hotch's lips. "Sure, provided that your paperwork will be done until the day after tomorrow." Spencer nodded. "Of course it will be!" And with these words he rushed back to his desk, grabbed his bag and left the BAU.

He knew it could be a stupid idea to appear at Brooke's front door without any warning, but he just couldn't help it. It must have been months ago when he finally started to realize that Brooke wasn't just a good friend to him and he started to have feelings for her. Spencer just didn't dare to tell her about what he felt for her. The fear to be rejected and to destroy this friendship was too big. So he just kept his feelings for himself and tried to be a good friend instead.