Beautiful Disaster

With two cups of coffee Luanne lumbered from the kitchen back into the bedroom. Her boyfriend of eleven months, Spencer, was still sleeping. They both had come back home pretty late last night after returning from a case and they had decided to just sleep at his place for tonight. But they had to get up at time today anyway to finish all the paperwork that they hadn't been able to do during the last days.

Luanne put one cup on Spencer's bedside table and then started to collect her clothes for the day. Spencer murmured something she couldn't understand, but she finally moved and grabbed his coffee. "What time is it?" He asked as he sat up and swung his long legs out of the bed. "It's almost eight. We should see that we get to the office as soon as possible", Luanne said while she put on her pants.

"Ugh, we should get a day off after that kind of case we had during last week", he complained but Luanne just smirked. He mostly was grumpy in the mornings, especially before he has had one or two cups of coffee.

"Come on, get up." She threw one of his shirts in his direction and it hit him right in the face. A laugh escaped Luanne's mouth when she saw his surprised facial expression. "Okay, okay...", Spencer murmured and finally stood up, grabbing his coffee to drink it before he'd get dressed.

When they both finally were ready to leave the apartment, Luanne followed her boyfriend through the corridor to the front door. Instead of walking through so she could follow and close the door behind her, Spencer stopped immediately as soon as he'd open the door. Luanne walked right into her boyfriend, not expecting him to stop. "Spence? Can't you just walk?" She asked, already a bit nervous. They had a shitload to do at the office and Luanne really wanted to get it done as soon as possible so she'd hopefully have some free time later until the next case would come.

"There's...there's a...baby...lying here...", Spencer stammered. "What?" Luanne almost laughed. He was joking, she was sure. "Spence, that's not funny. Come on, we gotta go", she said and pressed her hand against his back. But her boyfriend stepped aside and she gasped when she saw that he was right.

"Oh my god, why is there a baby at your front door?!" Luanne exclaimed while Spencer bent down to look at the little human in the basket. "There's a letter...", he murmured and grabbed it. Luanne watched him open it but before he could read even one word, the baby started to cry.

"Oh damn." Spencer hurried to grab the basket and bring the baby into the apartment. Luanne closed the door and followed him, more than confused. Where were the baby's parents? Why would someone put it in front of Spencer's door?

While the baby was still crying – Luanne wasn't sure if it was hungry or if it should get the diaper changed – Spencer finally read the letter. She watched his facial expressions and started to worry when she saw his eyes widen and a shocked expression appeared.

"Spencer? What's...going on?" Luanne asked, almost dying from curiousity. "That...letter is from an ex-girlfriend of mine", he started as his eyes wandered from her to the baby. "She writes that the baby is...mine."

"What?!" Luanne stared at her boyfriend and couldn't believe what he was saying. For some seconds there was silence between them, then Luanne wrenched the letter from Spencer's hand to read it herself.

Dear Spencer

I know you haven't heard from me in quite a long time. And now you find a baby at your front door...His name's Noah and he's 6 months old. Yeah, I guess you've done some math now and remember that last time we've spent a night together. Spencer, Noah is your son. And I come at you with a huge plea.

I've got some real problems the last months, I've been drinking way too much and now I'm at rehab. I couldn't take Noah with me and I don't know anyone who could take care of him. I don't want him to be in a children's home, so I thought I'd bring him at yours. I'm sorry I didn't ring and talk to you personally, but I'm feeling extremely bad and I didn't want you to see me like that.