That's what friends are for

A/N: I'm gonna post a Christmas One Shot everyday until Sunday from now on. :)

With a deep sigh, you leaned back in your chair and glanced over to your colleague and best friend Spencer. He was staring at one of his files but hadn't written anything within the last half hour. For you it seemed like he was lost in his thoughts and you started to worry a bit about your friend. You bit your lips as you rolled away from your desk.

Should you go over and ask him what was bothering him? Or should you just remain where you were and let him be? No, you couldn't. He was your best friend and you wouldn't be able to concentrate yourself until you knew what was going on in the genius mind of him.

"Spence? Are you alright?" You put a hand on his shoulder and felt him slightly wince at your touch. He turned around on his chair and looked at you a bit confused. "What? Uhm...yeah, I'm good", he said and was about to turn back to the desk again, but you stopped him.

"Come on, we're best friends. I see that something's bothering you." You wouldn't let him go until he had talked to you. The young agent let out a deep sigh. "I need to get this here done. But when I'm finished...coffee in the common room?" You nodded and wandered back to your desk. You had get some paper work done as well.

Twenty minutes later you had finished your paperwork and went to the common room. Spencer didn't seem to be finished yet, so you sat down on one of the chairs after you'd made yourself a cup of coffee.

"Hey." Some minutes later, Spencer stepped in, a shy smile on his face. "Hey", you smiled back and watched him making a coffee. For a moment, you thought about asking him again what was going on. But then you decided to keep quiet and waiting for him to speak.

"I can't spend Christmas with my mom", he burst out suddenly and then buried his face in the cup of coffee he was holding in his hands.

"Why so?", you asked eventually. Spencer had always spent Christmas with his mom and you had no idea why it should be different this year. Spencer let out a deep sigh and leaned back on his chair.

"Because there's that new case here in town we work on and Hotch wants us all to be here. Hasn't he told you already? And my mom can't travel at the moment", he explained quietly. You nodded and took a sip of your own coffee, thinking about what you could say to him. You have had no idea that you would all have to stay in town over the festive days. But you didn't bother anyway, your family was living here.

"There's no chance to get to Vegas?" As soon as those words had left your lips you would have loved to take them back. What a stupid question this was! Of course there was no chance for Spencer to visit his mom when Hotch had told them that it was important that they had to stay here.

"I'm sorry", you murmured. But Spencer shook his head. "It's okay. Somehow. I just...don't know what to do. If we don't have to work on Christmas, I'll sit at home alone and only the thought of it makes me feel sick."

You put a hand on Spencer's shoulder. "You wouldn't have to be alone", you started, "you could join me and my family. You know them and they'd love to have you with them on Christmas." You gave Spencer an encouraging smile and were glad to see that he replied with a smile as well.

"That would be great! But only if it'd be okay for your parents and your sister!", he said but he seemed to be way happier right now. "Of course it would! Don't be silly", you chuckled and nudged your shoulder against his.

~

It happened, that you could be home for Christmas and so you kept your promise and invited Spencer to come at your parents' house and spend the evening with you. He even brought a bottle of red wine and some presents and you couldn't hide that you were happy to have him here on that day. You liked Spencer a lot and hated to see him being down. The smile on his face and the sparkling in his brown eyes told you that he was glad to be here too. You sat next to each other during dinner and he had a good talk with your dad. You watched them and listened to their conversation while you eat what was on your plate.

Later you all settled in the living room around the huge and blinking Christmas tree that your parents had prepared to unpack the presents. When you unpacked the one Spencer had given you, your eyes widened the more you could see from his present. "Oh, Spence!", you exclaimed as you carefully held up a collection of the Harry Potter books. It seemed to be a limited edition with beautiful covers and you bit your lips to not cry. You had told him that you'd loved to have that collection since your old Harry Potter books were falling apart from using them so often. And he hadn't forgotten.

You threw your arms around his neck and pressed a kiss on his cheek. "That's the best present I ever got!", you said with a beaming smile. Spencer chuckled. "I'm glad you like it. Thanks for inviting me tonight." And then he kissed your cheek. You shook your head as you pulled away again slightly. "That's what friends are for, Spencer."