Perfect little family

Feeling a bit exhausted, Mariah opened the door to the apartment. It had been a long day at the hospital she was working in. She wasn't a nurse or a doctor, but working at the reception in the biggest hospital of the city could be pretty stressful and so it had been today. Mariah slipped out of her shoes, put the keys away and got rid of her coat. Then she slowly stepped towards the living room. She had heard voices from that direction so she was sure that she'd find her husband Spencer and her four years old daughter Mia there. Mariah looked into the living room and there they were: Spencer was sitting on the couch, his glasses on and Mia on his lap. In front of them he held a book whose cover looked very used. And Mariah immediately knew it must have been one of Edgar Allan Poe's books. Spencer loved them and it seemed like he passed this love for the author on to Mia. Mariah leaned against the door case and folded her arms in front of her chest while she watched them interacting.

Spencer was telling Mia the poem of Annabel Lee, one of his favorite ones. Mariah liked that one as well but would never be able to know it by heart. But Spencer did. Tonight though he had the book open, reading the words that were written in it. "I want to read too, daddy!" Mia now said, looking up to him with her hazel eyes. Spencer smiled. "Do you think you can do that already?" He frowned and the little girl nodded. "I wanna try!" She shouted, hopping up and down on the couch now. Spencer laughed. "Okay. Here we go. So, can you read the first line?" He looked at her curiously and Mariah bit her lips, almost holding her breath while she watched her daughter. She was only four years old, but she was smart, very smart for her age. She wanted to know lots of things and she asked tons of questions of which some Mariah couldn't even answer. But Spencer, the genius, gladly did. He and Mia had a strong relationship and he tried to spend as much time with her as possible when he didn't have to be on a case.

Mia leaned over to the book, her beautiful face full of concentration. "I-it...was..." She started and Mariah could see Spencer's beaming smile. He had teached her reading since a while now, just to see if she would actually be able to know the letters. And she did. Not every letter, but many of them. Mariah remained standing there, watching the scene. "Man-man...y an...d a...a y..." She paused, looking up to her dad. "Daddy, I can't read that." She said and pointed to the book. Spencer laughed. "It says year. You did amazing, sweetheart!" He wrapped his arms around the little girl and she giggled when he started to tickle her. Mariah sighed.

"Mommy!" Mia shouted when she finally saw her mother. She wriggled out of Spencer's arms and ran towards her. Mariah leaned down and opened her arms in which Mia immediately run so Mariah could put her up from the ground. "Hi, my angel!" She pressed her lips on Mia's cheek. Her brown curls tickled Mariah's nose. "Come on, let's sit down again." Mariah said as she let Mia down to the floor again. She grabbed her mother's hand and they both sat down on the couch. Spencer looked at his wife with one of the happiest smiles and leaned over to kiss her. "Hi honey." He quietly said. "Hi." Mariah snuggled up to him and then let Mia crawl into her lap. "I missed you mommy." The little girl murmured and snuggled into Mariah's embrace. "I missed you, too sweetie." She kissed her hair, feeling all happy.

"So, what were you two up to today while I was at work?" Mariah asked smiling. "We went to the playground and daddy bought me donuts and then...then we watched Finding Nemo and read that book." Mia told, her voice full of excitement and her eyes sparkling. "Oh, that sounds amazing, Mia!" Mariah smirked and the little girl nodded, a beaming smile on her face.

~

Hours later, when Mia was already in her bed sleeping soundly, Mariah scooted closer to Spencer as they lay in bed. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her gently. "You look exhausted." He stated and Mariah nodded. "Yeah, I am...work is stressful lately. But don't worry, I'm fine." She lifted her head and pressed her lips on his. He stroked her naked shoulder and sighed. "It's good to finally lay next to you again. I'm glad there didn't come up a case lately." Spencer said and Mariah nodded. "Mia misses you too, everytime you left for a case she looks at me with those wonderful eyes and asks me how long her daddy will be away this time." She buried her face in Spencer's neck and placed a kiss on his skin there. "You know how much I want to be with you both when I have to be away. There's no place on earth I'd rather be than with you and Mia."