17: Lost Stars

Rika's POV

Bangtan Boys. I should say I'm very lucky to have met them, got to talk with them, joked with them— even hid with Jungkook at such close proximity, but rather than lucky, I'd say I'm grateful.

To have learnt their names, Rapmonster or Namjoon, Jin, Suga or Yoongi, Jimin, V or Taehyung, J-Hope or Hoseok, and Jungkook...

It was so relaxing to ease into their group, to pick up their laughter and their infectious sense of humour and enthusiasm. There was always the crazy maknae line of Jungkook, Jimin, V, and J-Hope with their inexhaustible energy, and the laid back hyung-line of Jin, Rapmon, and Suga— not the less crazy and hilarious at all, however, with their sarcastic eye rolls and laziness and awkward dance moves.

They were here for the two months to use the company's place while all our Pledis trainees were away; for what I wasn't sure, and neither were they. Jungkook didn't question further my identity as a trainee, or lack of identity, and for that I was grateful, too.

It had already been a week, and I spent every day with them, practicing singing alongside them, and practicing dancing by the side on my own as they practiced their choreography. Sometimes I even tried to imitate and learn their dance, and when Jimin found me doing that, he offered to teach me their dance.

'Our 8th member of Bangtan Sonyeondan,' Jin and Rapmon started to call me.

"I might kick you both and you awkward dance moves out of their group with my awesome dance moves" I shot back sassily.

It was a joke of course, and I knew they were not in the least offended; it was only a week, but we had already grown close enough for me to know that there were no hard feelings in this group.

.

.

.

"Suga-hyung, can you help us with this?" Jungkook called out from inside the recording room.

Jungkook and I had grown closest over the past week out of all the Bangtan Boy members, and now we were trying to record a duet of the song Lost Stars by Adam Levine. Throughout the week we often worked on our own skills, then brought our lunches into the training room to eat together, then sometimes practiced dance together in the same room, but separately. Today was the first time I was working together with them. It was a honour really, but all I felt was gratefulness, and joy.

At least these friends won't hear about the disgrace I am and the filth I'm treated like in the company.

Please don't see just a boy caught up in dreams and fantasies

Please see me reaching out for someone I can't see

Take my hand let's see where we wake up tomorrow

Best laid plans sometimes are just a one night stand

I'd be damned Cupid's demanding back his arrow

So let's get drunk on our tears and

I joined in here quietly using a low voice so it wouldn't be too sudden.

God, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young

It's hunting season and the lambs are on the run

Searching for meaning

But are we all lost stars, trying to light up the dark?

At this point I let my voice grow louder and I changed my part of the melody impromptu so that I could harmonise with Jungkook properly. To my surprise, my impromptu harmonisation sounded good. Jungkook was probably surprised too, as I found him looking at me with a jokingly cocky "not-bad" gaze.

Who are we? Just a speck of dust within the galaxy?

Woe is me, if we're not careful turns into reality

Don't you dare let our best memories bring you sorrow

Yesterday I saw a lion kiss a deer

Turn the page maybe we'll find a brand new ending

Where we're dancing in our tears and

God, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young

It's hunting season and the lambs are on the run

Searching for meaning

But are we all lost stars, trying to light up the dark?

.

.

.

For once I got to keep my own recording and hear myself sing as Rika. It was beautiful. It felt..perfect. I spent days and days listening to our recording, our duet, on repeat. I couldn't get enough of it. It was on repeat day after day in my head, at night, in my room...

Kumawo, Jeon Jungkook.

Kumawo, Bangtan Boys.

These two months will be the two months I can live, as Han Rika.

Kumawo.

____________________

"Manager-hyung, are you sure there isn't a Han Rika in Pledis trainees?" Jungkook asks casually over dinner.

"Yea hyung, maybe there's another group of trainees you didn't hear about. She kind of has to be a trainee, with her dance and singing skills." Jimin hops into the conversation. All of them had grown fond of Rika over these days.

"Aniyo, they don't have many trainees at the moment and according to the list I have, there is no Han Rika. Maybe you got her name wrong?" their manager replies.

"Yedeul, don't you notice she seems to be really tired sometimes like she had to do a lot of work before she joins us or something?" Jin comments.

"Also, the other day the staff guy who brought us to the room was yelling at her to bring them their coffee faster. I don't think trainees do that kind of thing, and aren't all trainees in Japan right now?" Rapmonster adds wonderingly.

"Then..who is she actually?" V asks, giving a weird stare and speaking in an overly dramatic voice.

"Keurae keurae, if you all really want to know that much I'll help you ask again 'kay?" their manager sighs cheerily.

______________________

"Bang sajangnim, this is a recording I did for fun with a friend, do you think we can upload it as a bangtan bomb on our youtube channel?" Jungkook smiles politely, passing a usb with the file to his company's president, Bang Shi Hyuk.

"Of course Jungkook-ah, can I listen now?" the man good-naturedly laughs and takes the usb over.

"Tanghyunaji" Jungkook nods, smiling.

.

.

.

"This girl...Who is she, Jungkook-ah?" Bang Shi Hyuk asks curiously.

"She's a friend I met at Pledis" Jungkook answers.

"Trainee?"

"Aniyo, I asked a few times but we still don't know exactly what she does at Pledis. I think she's a trainee but she denies, and there are no records of a trainee called Rika either."

"Rika, is it?"

"Yes, sajangnim."

"I see, thank you kook-ah"

_________________

I'm gonna upload a recording of Lost Stars later :P Gotta go now, enjoy!!!!

<3