Chapter 1

Four months before

"Alice," my mom called from the kitchen.

Humming I propped my frame off the couch to catch a glimpse of her digging through the pantry. "Yeah?" I asked. Her lips pursed in a flat line as she tapped her nails on the island, "Have you started packing?" She questioned, furrowing her brows with the slightest frown of my shrug of the shoulders. My mom didn't seem to satisfied I wasn't as enthusiastic as my dad, siblings, and her were about moving to London. I watched her grip the island. Her eyes screwing shut and her lips quivering as she took short breaths between her clenched teeth.

"Mom, I'm kidding I'm nearly done," I lied.

She nodded her head and continued  taking out all the canned foods. After waiting a couple seconds i slipped out the living room, running up the flight of stairs to start packing my things.
To be truthfully honest I didn't want to move. My dad got a promotion as head manager for this new company in London called, Styles Inc.

Which explains why my parents are in such a rush to move out before they decline my father. Mom says, "a new beginning would be great. New memories, new opportunities."  I'm not one to jump on board just a snap of the fingers which my respond would always be, "I guess so."

Four months later

Alice's POV

The next morning my alarm blared, the annoying ring waking me up. A groan escaped my lips as I reached for a pillow and hugged it. Since the move I decided to live on my own. Every once in awhile I visited my family since they were merely ten blocks away but, now that I turned eighteen, I was old enough to have my independence. Mom always complained I was still her little princess but who is she kidding.

Groaning, I crawled out of bed. Once my feet touched the cold hard tiles, shivers ran down my spine. I made my way to my bathroom. Stripping out of my clothes and stepping into the warm shower. Droplets of water falling down my face. After scrubbing my body and washing my hair I stepped out. My clock read 9:02 am so I had a remaining twenty-eight minutes before heading to work. I slipped on a pair of jeans, tee, and my converse and applied a bit of make up.

I worked at a little coffee shop called Project 29. It wasn't as popular as Starbucks or Coffee Bean but it was something. Most people loved our coffee. The atmosphere. The people. The workers. The coffee shop gave little pay but, the paychecks were sufficient to pay off rent, food, and the bills. I hardly cooked since I always ordered take out or pizza but I was fine with that. Living alone was boring and depressing. Entertaining myself with the television and my phone wasn't enough. I thought about getting a little pup but the land lord didn't allow pets in the complex.

I don't think people really realize what true independence can lead to.

I grabbed my coat beside the door and gathered my backpack, keys and phone. Taking the elevator I was greeted by Debby.

"Hello, sweetheart. Heading for work already?" Her sweet low voice asked.

I nodded my head and said goodbye before walking out the lobby. Debby was a sweet old lady. Most would say she was those old women who tried to stay young but I didn't take Debby that way. She was possibly in her mid fifties. Had light pink dyed hair which explains why most people thought she was trying to stay "hip" but that wasn't it. I say that she's showing her personality. Of course she didn't wear exposed clothing but she also wasn't one to wear sweatshirts, baggy pants, and crocs.

Stepping out the complex I was engulfed by the chilly London air. I threw my backpack on and hugged myself as I jogged over to the bus stop. Waiting only a couple minutes the bus came. Of course I allowed the elderly to step in the bus first but, right when it was my turn the bus driver said there wasn't space. I simply nodded my head and he left. Glancing down at my phone to see the time, I nearly choked when I read 9:25am.

I mentally cursed myself for taking my precious time. I was late. Hoping Steve wasn't at work, I ran to the cafe. The cold air fanning me in the face as I ran down the corner made me shudder. I knew Caleb was going to tease me once I would arrive since this hasn't been the first I was late and flushed to work.

Usually I was the one that had to open the cafe and I was hoping that today wasn't my turn. Turning one more corner I arrived. No one stood outside waiting to enter the coffee shop which made me sigh in relief. I walked up to the shop and placed my hand on the handle and saw that the sign was flipped over and said open. Catching my breath I entered. The aroma of grind coffee beans, vanilla frosting, and the smell of burning wood igniting my nostrils.

Caleb stood behind the register with a sly smile, cashing in the customers order. I rolled my eyes when he glanced up at me and chuckled.

"Late again miss Wilson," Caleb said tossing me my apron for work.

I could've flicked him off right at the moment but Steve went over the rules that even if we were joking around, it was still inappropriate behavior for the public to see at the cafe. What ever the hell that meant.

Caleb was a funny guy. I worked with him half of the time I went to work, since we nearly have the same work schedules. Steve usually pairs the two of us up because we make most of the money during the duration of the day. We both work at the register and make the orders but usually Sammy, (co-worker of mine) cleans the tables and keeps the cafe clean.

"You got saved. Steve was out back getting the coffee beans." Caleb said.

_________________________

So I've been working on this chapter since midnight and just a second ago but tbh its crappy lol but this is just a filler in Alice's life. Hope your enjoying it. Please like, comment and vote! Oh and also HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Much love, Jessica xo