Chapter 13

ALICE'S POV

I think about how there are certain people who come into your life, and leave a mark, and I don't just mean that they change you-- a lot of people can change you. The first kid who called you a name, the first teacher who said you were smart, the first person who crowned you as their best friend, it's the change you remember and what they meant, not really the people. I'm talking about the ones who, for whatever reason are as much part of you as your own soul. Their place in your heart is tender; a bruise of longing, a pulse of unfinished business.

Just hearing their names pulls you and pushes you a hundred ways and when you try to define those hundred ways there's no amount of words to describe them to yourself, words are useless.

Time to time I wish I could take back those words I said but I couldn't. It happened and I couldn't do anything about it. Weeks passed and I didn't hear a word from him. It's been two weeks and I lived day by day stressing myself over it. I felt like I was a puppet.

Like someone was controlling the strings of my emotions and I lay there, in bed, the nights swallowing me down as I wait to hear from him, I can't help but think about what my life has come to when he became apart of it. Waiting and waiting for him had been the focus of my thoughts the past weeks.

I hated it.

These days went by slow and I kept to myself which usually worried Caleb and Samantha but I was dazing into space.

I was at work cleaning up tables when Samantha popped up beside me. A huge smile plastered her lips as she interlocked her arm around mine. "Alice want to meet my boyfriend today?" She asked.

Puppy eyes began to form her face as well as a little frown on her lips. Shrugging my shoulders I agreed to her question since I had nothing better to do tonight.

"Yay alright!!" She chirped, clapping her hands together before leaving me to myself.

I began to think of him.

I wondered what he was doing. If he was thinking about me and if he regretted leaving me.

No stop Alice.

After both Samantha's and I's shifts were over we headed toward her car. "So where are we going?" I asked, pulling the sea belt over my chest and buckling on. "Where going to meet up with Xavier and his friends, they have a show tonight!"

Nodding my head she began to go on about her musical boyfriend. I now knew why she was attracted to him. Samantha had always had a thing about boys having their own band. She didn't care if they knew how to sing or if they knew how to play an instrument, she was instantly attracted to them. She explained he had a punk rock feel to him and that he might come off as a jerk but I was prepared for the obnoxious boy.

"Here he gave me a CD of their music."

Samantha put the disc inside and the sound of electric guitar being strummed erupted the speakers. "What is his lead in the band?" I asked her.

"The guitar and background singing."

Their music was great. When she explained they were a rock band I was confused, their music was completely different than I thought. They did have a rock feel to their music but I found it more indie-like. Their music reminded me a lot of The 1975 and I liked it.