Chapter 23

ALICES POV

He was swallowing toxins, his skin so pale and his frame so fragile. the tears streamed down his face to his chewed up quivered lips. harry reaches for the bottle of alcohol but I hold his hands in mine. he had always witnessed me at my weakest state and this was me at his. his eyes such a discolored cloud of green and the peak of his nose such a crimson red.

my thumb glazes his crescent moon cheeks to rid of the saline tears and I am feeling such hatred, such distaste to what I just heard. he grabs my hands to settle around his neck and I oblige as I nuzzle my head in the croak of his neck.

"they know I wasn't capable of stopping my actions," harry said.

peppering kisses along his neck I say, "I know baby. I know." although, I didn't know. these were just words of comfort to soothe him, I didn't live his childhood with him.

"lay with me," he whispers.

so I lay. Our legs tangle, his head is on my chest, my fingers are combing through his hair. we lay silent, with a beating drum of our heartbeats. we are both telling each other that we care without words.

once harry had fallen asleep, I slowly began to slip away from his grasp. knowing that all the crying would lead to a headache, I began to rummage through his drawers for aspirin. although, I only found unopened letters, sleeping pills and medical pills.

harry was shuffling and groaning behind me so I decided to leave, I knew the next day I would face an upset harry and a mind of unanswered questions but I left anyway.

•  •  •

work was getting busy by the hour, especially rush hour. I was cleaning tables, blending coffee beans, and mopping coffee spills. my left butt cheek continued to vibrate- if it wasn't obvious it was Harry. I had the chance to read a couple of messages. most read things such as 'why weren't you here this morning' or 'are you mad at me? It it because of last night?'

i wanted to answer him but the boss gave me two warnings already about being on my phone.

the little bell at the door ringed, signaling that someone was entering the cafe. "hello welcome to Project 19."

I put the mop aside, wiping my hands on my apron and walking behind the register. I looked up to meet her. Gemma. "umm Gemma, hello. what would you like?"

"when is your break? I want to speak to you."

"we can talk now let me tell one of the employees to cover me real quick."

I found Caleb in the back storing products in the shelves. "mind covering my shift real fast?" he gave me the thumb and I thanked him before taking a seat with Gemma.

taking a long look at Gemma, I noticed the family resemblance. familiar face structure, colored eyes, and striking personality. "is there something wrong?" I questioned.

Gemma leaned back against the booth and pulled out a photo album. it was hard not chuckle at this, it wasn't everyday when someone pulled out a photo album from their bag.

"Now..now that you are my brothers lover I thought you should know this."

she nodded at me to look through the album so I did. my hands guided over the films, slightly smiling as I read five month Harold.