Chapter 32

a l i c e

Saturday, I wake up to snow pelting the windows. stretching my limbs, I sit with my back pressed against the headboard of my bed. dismissing my groggy state of my mind, I hazily walk to the bathroom to brush my teeth before stopping to analyze my features.

As I round the corner into the kitchen, I brew myself a cup of tea, a tub of raw honey on the counter menacingly tasteful, so I bring it upon myself to stir the sweetness into my mug. Licking some honey that dripped on the side of my palm, I sit on the couch to be engulfed by the scent of lavender absorbed by the pillows. a documentary appeared on the television, but my interest was on the snow falling outside.

originally, my plan was to stay in and watch re-runs of supernatural, precisely to have dean as my date for tonight, but somehow my parents reprieved me of my alienation to society.

from mom:
join us to cut some Christmas trees, Grandma wants to see you. meet us at the sugar groove farm.

well I can't deny Grandma. I also need to dress up really cozy since the farm is 30 miles into the country side of New York.  I wore black skinny jeans, a navy blue knitted sweatshirt and beanie, a heavy gray cotton hooded cardigan, gray scarf, and leather black Chelsea boots.

I had to pay for a rental car since I didn't own a car, and riding with my parents would be miserable. I also didn't plan on chopping down a tree so I rented a cooper. winter was a great season- warm drinks, fuzzy slippers, old books, and it was the perfect time to watch The Nutcracker. (Personally)

Upon arriving, my face immediately felt frost. somehow, with all the exaggeration about New York's weather, i wouldn't have believed their claims until now. At my dismay, rubbing my hands together for some sort of heat would be the only probable tactic to conserve thermal temperature. as expected, the destination was just as I surmised it would be, rows and rows of trees were grown into the ground covered in snow. To the right of me, a scarlet hued booth caught my attention, which later induced me to observe the string lights and displayed styrofoam cups, perhaps even filled with hot chocolate.

everything seemed undoubtedly magical.

my parents and grandmother appeared, "Alice!" engulfed by my family members, I embraced their love, feeling no hurt and no worry. I must have showed a questionable expression, hence my Grandma asking "is everything okay?" her wrinkly hands reached out to place mine in hers. "I'm quite alright, just glad to see you is all."

a frown appeared on her thin lips, "and this ring?"

"A friend gave it to me," I whispered.

We've been wandering around for a good while, debating between three trees. the cold winter wind was diminishing us from our air so we took a break near option one and three. "Pumpkin, why don't you take one?"

it was dreadful to me, taking home a Christmas tree with no one to share it with. "my cars too small to carry it." Was my excuse.

"none sense."  that voice, I know that voice.

Lo and behold, the person who I least thought would be in front of me was standing there. Nerves was the only distinguishable emotion bursting through me. Stuffing my hands into the inside of my coat, I trudged not too happily towards him. a couple feet away from him I say, "full offense, but if you don't have intentions of making this easy on me, I'd like you to leave."