Chapter Nine

Katrina:

The dark forest spoke to me as I wandered around the cold remains. 

I want to be alone, for once in my life, I did not hate the silence looming around me.

 I don't want to speak to anyone, I can't.

"You need to go back," the person I was trying to avoid tells me. 

I shake my head over and over again, all I want is the silence. 

I carry on walking and try to block her out the best I could, she shouldn't be here. 

"Katrina, are you listening to me?" she asks me sternly. 

I have nothing to say to her. She couldn't begin the feel the pain I feel at the moment. She couldn't feel the numbness surrounding my body like a blanket.

My locks bounce off of my shoulders as I pace through the trees.

"Katrina-" I cut her off with my hand raised in the air. 

I turn and look at her, my eyes glaring at her form as I stop walking. 

Shaking my head at her, I uncurl one of my pale fingers and raise it to point at her.

"No, you do not get to say anything," I tell her warningly.

She studies my features and a shock of expression crosses her face. She walks forward and shakes her head, her short, golden blonde hair shimmers in the light.

"Don't you disobey me, young lady, I am your moth-" she begins to scold me as I scoff. 

I scowl at the woman shaking my head, anger being my main target.  

"YOU WERE!..." I shout in frustration as her eyes widen at my sudden outburst.

Well, what did she expect? Did she want me to listen to her as though nothing had just happened between us?

"However, as time keeps reminding me, you're not my mother anymore," I say calmly, my heart cracking at the words which fly out of my mouth. 

I ignored her and turn my back to face her, it was easier to try and admire my surroundings.  

The yellow daffodils shone in the distance and the multi-coloured tulips, roses and lilies made the air smell sweet. 

Everything seemed tranquil, full of life, something I was not. 

I tread carefully, not to step on the wildlife here, respecting its beauty.

"Katrina please..." my mother begs me. 

I desperately want to turn around and face her. I want to be able to turn around and run into her arms, I want her to hold me and never let me go. I want to be able to feel the warmth of her skin and feel her hands comb through my hair like they used to. But what I want cannot ever happen again, I will never again feel a mother's comfort... at least not hers.  

I kneel down and place my hands on the ground, my leather trousers sinking into the dirt. My palms graze across the ground collect the earth beneath my fingertips, I feel the soil crumble between my fingers, I enjoy the cool feeling of it escaping back to the ground. 

I lift the soil to my nose and sniff it, internally remembering the smell. 

Someone had been here. 

A strong scent lifted through my nostrils and imprinted itself into my head.

It smelt of dog.

Of a hound.

Even though I was in no immediate threat, I now knew that there were wild dogs in Asgard, the kind that I didn't want to mess with.