Chapter Twenty-One: Falling Apart

Kaitlyn:

I'm rushing, my feet are fast, this is the fastest I have ever run.

I leap over the various dead corpses in my pathway. The violet dress with royal gold threading feels light as the fabric brushes violently against my legs with each stroke I run. The golden ballet pumps on my feet begin to rub my heels, I can already feel the skin beginning to tear.

Analysing my figure, I am no longer an adult, I look like a teenager. My hair is shorter but still remains in chocolate locks and I appear to look around sixteen years of age. My breathing shallows as I take in more air as my throat constricts, burning as I need to rest.

"FIND HER! FIND THE LITTLE PRINCESS!" I hear a loud terrifying voice call out. I gulp and run around a corner and hide behind one of the pillars in the palace. I close my eyes and I place my hand over my mouth to muffle my breaths. Tears begin to well in my eyes as panic settles in the pit of my stomach.

This all feels too real, almost like a memory.

"SHE WENT THIS WAY!" I hear a different voice shout. I squeeze my eyes and bite my lip as I hear footsteps walking past the pillars. I see dark shadows looming over the sides as my body shakes from fear.

"Please don't find me... please don't find me..." I silently beg under my breath, panic coating my tone.

When the figures finally move past I let out a small sigh of relief. I move away from the pillar and continue to run in the opposite direction. I keep running and see many of the guards dead on their posts. I notice the palace doors open to the outside world and I run as fast as I can towards them.

Freedom at last...

I get to the doorway and see a man with multiple guards surrounding him fighting the blue beasts attacking them, the frost giants.

Wait... the frost giants? Where did that come from?

The man has grey hair and green eyes, his clothing is like my own but a regal blue. When the last beast is lifeless beneath his feet he glances up at me. His eyes show relief as he opens his arms out to me, welcoming my quivering form.

"KATRINA QUICKLY!" he shouts toward me.

I smile widely and run towards the man. A sense of belongingness fills me as I feel tears run down my cheeks as I begin my journey to this kind-eyed man.

However, before I can reach him, an ear-piercing scream resonates throughout the air and my head snaps back to the palace.

"KATRINA!" the voice shrieks as my footsteps halt. She's calling to me, this woman, she is calling my name, my true name.

I glance between my home and the man who I assume is my father who is shaking his head running toward me.

"Katrina... don't, please... I cannot lose you as well," the man begs as I shake my head apologetically and run back inside of the palace.

"KATRINA!" the same voice shouts out again, but as soon as I am back inside the castle walls the doors slam and lock. I gasp in shock and turn back. I hear repeating banging on the door and hear the man call out.

"KATRINA GET OUT OF THERE IT'S A TRAP!" the man frantically calls out, panic in his voice.

I ignore the voice and continue to run to where I heard the woman's voice. I pass many corridors and bloodstains that cover the walls and floor.